Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,292

3 members and 2,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Thread: Jumper

Thanks

Jumper

What could cause a jumpy snake?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Jumper

How old is your snake? Younger snakes from what I've heard tend to be jumpier. Coud we get some more info like when is your snake jumpy?

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    She's about nine months old and she's particularly jumpy if I haven't help her in a few days everything is up to par with her set up though from temps and humidity to the hides everything and she eats amazingly!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Jumper

Is she jumpy from quick movements or just in general? How are you approaching her as if it's from above she may think it's a predator.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jon14; 05-10-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Some of my snakes are real jumpy if I move quick around them, especially the non-ball pythons. I try to move slow, approach from behind when I pick them up, try not to move really fast when the tubs are open. This is especially so with new snakes that are not familiar with me or the setup, they eventually seem to chill out a bit. I have a big Woma python that I just got a couple months ago, still hasn't eaten, got beat up in the mail big time. He is really jumpy if I move fast, was really aggressive at first. Still hisses at me if I pick him up when he doesn't want to be picked up. Finally was able to pick him up and handle him with no problems the last week or so, I only pick him up when he is moving around and getting curious. At first when I moved fast he would really jump like crazy, I guess he was really scared of everything. In the last week we have really bonded, I still move pretty slow around him when I have his tub open, just trying to get him used to everything and know that I'm not going to hurt him. He was especially jumpy right before and during his last shed. He is my first really big snake, probably weighs over five pounds. I think I'm probably just as scared of him as he is of me, we are still trying to work things out and become friends LOL. I will say that ever since I started handling him every few days or so he has really mellowed out and isn't really jumpy anymore. You may try handling your snake a bit. I open the tub and get a 'mood' from the snake. If he is wandering around slowly and checking things out I try to pick him up. Otherwise I close the tub and try again a few days later. I picked him up when he was sound asleep right after I got him, boy was that a mistake! Lots of hissing and he was striking at me from a distance, really scary for such a big snake. Hopefully we are past that kind of behavior. I also had a ball python that was newly shipped in the mail, was really mean and jumpy for the first couple weeks until she got a few live mice in her belly. Now she seems to be pretty mellowed out.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 05-10-2016 at 01:37 AM.