Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,162

3 members and 2,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Active while handling

My female pastel is super active while being handled. I try to sit down and watch a movie with her but she is always trying to escape so I have to keep switching hands until it gets exhausting and I put her back.

Is there any way that I can make her a little more calm while she is being handled?

(She isn't scared of anything and never balls up)

Thanks
    She may be exploring, or she may feel scared and be looking for a place to hide. I'd try sitting with a blanket, and make a little cave for her to go into. See if she likes that. or if you have a hoodie that has the pocket for your hands on the front, put her in there... Give her a place to hide while you're sitting with her see if that makes a difference. Sometimes that works for me, other times, mine just wants to move... I keep an eye on her, and never let her get out of reach, but will let her roam to see where she goes.

I look at it like a toddler... if you hold them back, they just want to go more... if you let them explore, it becomes not as interesting and they become happy to stay where they're at. LOL..
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Re: Active while handling

Quote Originally Posted by damian0905 View Post
    My female pastel is super active while being handled. I try to sit down and watch a movie with her but she is always trying to escape so I have to keep switching hands until it gets exhausting and I put her back.

Is there any way that I can make her a little more calm while she is being handled?

(She isn't scared of anything and never balls up)
    I have one like that too! Shes really sweet and likes to crawl all over my arms. Never strikes or pulls back her head quickly or has that s shape curl on her neck whenever I handle her. Sometimes while watching a movie on my computer she would crawl to the space between my back and the backrest of the chair cos thats a warm cozy spot to hide.

Bear in mind though, dont get too engrossed in the movie till you forget about her. Always know where she is at all times! One time I suddenly realized she wasnt behind me amd saw her on the floor next to the chair wheels!!!! Luckily I didnt roll the chair or else she would have been injured.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If she's really quickly trying to hide or slither away from you, most likely she's nervous. I guess the only thing to do is handle more and hope for the best! (But not too much that it stresses her out) Some snakes calm down easily, while others just never chill out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (05-06-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use a 'mobile home' for when I need to get simple chores done. If I put something out she can hide in, guaranteed she's going in there and doesn't usually go to far from that point.
    Valentine's Keeper

Thanks
    It may sound odd, but each time I clean my biggest girl's tank (at least once a week, she's a Mad Poopa!), I just wear her around my neck and she snuggles up around me. She may get a little curious and sniff some things while I'm cleaning and walking through rooms, but she generally is so used to chilling for little bits at a time that she kind of setlles. This whole process for her usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Maybe try small cuddle sessions using the little hidey holes the other folks suggested?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    If it seems like she's trying to run away she might be very nervous!
    If she's just slowly moving around but is exploring she's just doing that!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    If she's very active chances are she's trying to run away and find a place to hide. Put a light baby blanket or small towel on your lap and she will probably be happy to stay under it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

LittleTreeGuy (05-06-2016)

Thanks

My 3 are all the same, they aren't particularly fond of being handled and will seek cover in their viv before you can even lift them out. They aren't aggressive with it, just very shy. I handle within their vivs daily aside from right after feeding although I will touch them during that time so they get more used to my touch. Jeffrey came out today albeit in his tube hide and had an explore on the sofa for 15 minutes before heading back in xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Balls balls balls