Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,429

2 members and 2,427 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,767
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11

Thread: Help?

Thanks

Help?

Okay so, I have two things i need help on. My male BP hasn't eaten since November, and i've tried it all- change temp, humid, f/t, live, different rats. I can't get mice since the petstore here isn't selling live feeders(and that's typically what they eat). He's in the same terrarium as another snake and she eats just fine. Any ideas on how to get him to eat? He isn't dangerously thin yet, but I have noticed slight weight loss.

Also, I know this is not BP related, but would anyone know how to take care of a rosy boa?

Thanks
    Is he with the female to breed?

If not then can be stress, not good puting two snakes together unless for breeding abd even then it would be temporary

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitewolfie View Post
    Okay so, I have two things i need help on. My male BP hasn't eaten since November, and i've tried it all- change temp, humid, f/t, live, different rats. I can't get mice since the petstore here isn't selling live feeders(and that's typically what they eat). He's in the same terrarium as another snake and she eats just fine. Any ideas on how to get him to eat? He isn't dangerously thin yet, but I have noticed slight weight loss.

Also, I know this is not BP related, but would anyone know how to take care of a rosy boa?
    well, first of all i would separate him from the other snake. BP's are solitary animal and putting him in with another snake where he has to compete for space, heat, etc. can really stress him out. and stress leads to abnormal behavior such as not eating.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-05-2016)

Thanks

Is the other snake in the cage the rosy boa? Rosies need much less humidity than ball pythons so trying to match habitat in a single cage would be stressful and unhealthy to do so, if the other snake in the cage is a ball python, they still need to be separated. While they won't fight by biting and wrestling, the more dominant one will try and pin on the other one, many 1st time keepers mistake this behavior as cuddling. The less dominant of the two will be forced to choose hides that it doesn't want (be unable to thermoregulate as well) and will go off feed.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

He's been with my other BP for a while and has never missed a meal before. I feed them in a separate tanks even.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

He's been with my other BP for a while and has never missed a meal before. I feed them in a separate tanks even.
    This as even more stress than the regular stress it is already living in while competing for everything it knows........

Thanks
    Best thing you can do is to separate the snakes into two different enclosures. Make sure their temperature, humidity, water, hides are all in check. Make sure your heat source is on a thermostat. Not a timer, a thermostat. Some folks get that confused. Once they are both in their own cages, leave the BP that isn't eating alone for a week. I would bet he'll change his attitude towards a warm rat.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

Megg (05-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    You really need to separate him into a different enclosure... We learn something new every day- but keeping two snakes in the same enclosure permanently is one of the biggest no-no's in the hobby, especially if one is apparently not eating and potentially showing stress.

The best thing you can do right now to start eliminating the problems one by one is putting him in his own tub, and don't handle him for a week or two! He might just get better.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-05-2016 at 11:38 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-06-2016),Megg (05-05-2016)

Thanks

Are you feeding the one that's not eating in its cage or are you moving it to another cage to feed it?

Brian

Thanks

A gentle suggestion, if I may: Just because he has been eating so far does not mean he is doing well. Surviving is not the same as thriving. Everyone in this thread has made the right suggestions: separate them right away, adjust the temp and humidity so they are suitable to each species (there are differences between balls and boas), and go from there.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python