Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,477

2 members and 2,475 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

BP Question about feeding

I have a young BP that refuses to eat, she is 6 months old and still the size of a hatchling. Only time she will eat is if I force feed her, which I hate having to do, even then she regurgitates it half the time. I can't get her to put on weight. Her temps and humidity are perfect. Not sure what is going on, vet checked out with no diseases. Any ideas on how I can get her to start eating on her own?

Registered User GoodLookinBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP Question about feeding

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh78 View Post
    I have a young BP that refuses to eat, she is 6 months old and still the size of a hatchling. Only time she will eat is if I force feed her, which I hate having to do, even then she regurgitates it half the time. I can't get her to put on weight. Her temps and humidity are perfect. Not sure what is going on, vet checked out with no diseases. Any ideas on how I can get her to start eating on her own?
    Please give us all the info on your set up. Temperatures, enclosure type, substrate, humidity levels etc.

Also what does your BP weigh and what's the weight of the food given?

If you're force feeding and they're reguring then you'll enter a cycle of them not wanting to eat therefore regurgitating and so on. Have you given a decent period of time recently where you haven't tried to feed? I know it can be worrying but that's sometimes all they need.

Thanks

What are you feeding? Size, live or f/t?

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh78 View Post
    If the snake is still alive it has eaten at some point on its own.
    Force feeding is stress.
    Regurges are more stress. (Also needs a couple weeks to heal for the damage caused)
    Husbandry is probably NOT perfect. Please give accurate temperatures including that of the glass on top of the UTH if you are using one.
    What was it eating before you bought it?
    Have you tried a live hopper mouse yet?

Thanks
    never ate for you on his own?
    Cage info?
    Assist feed or force feed ?
    Live or FT?
    Have you done anything else before jumping to force feeding ? If so what ?
    Definitely agree with the force feeding being heavy stress .

Registered User GoodLookinBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Please post all the info you can on your setup and feeding. It's important that you don't stress the animal out as this will only further effect feeding.

Enclosure type:
    heating source/s:
    substrate:
    hides:
    hot and cold temps:
    humidity level %:
    food type:
    live or frozen thawed food:
    animals weight:
    weight of food:
    type of food:

Also how are you feeding your BP, you should be dangling the correct sized food item with tweezers or tongs in front of animal so that the preys head is the strike point. I've seen a few people incorrectly offering food and it not only stresses the animal but puts them off eating.

Where is the bp's enclosure in your house? Is it in a heavy traffic area where people are passing regularly? Eg in a hallway or lounge?