Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,564

3 members and 2,561 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,768
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My Ball Python's scales a falling off

I have no idea what to do. A couple days ago, I noticed signs that my BP might be getting scale rot, the scales looked like the blood vessels had burst, making them turn red. I started applying Neosporin and it seemed to be getting better until tonight. Out of no where, her scales started falling off. It started with a few and now her entire cage is covered in them. The whole scale, at least on her back, have fallen off. I have no way to get to a vet that handles reptiles, and the only place I could imagine there being one is nearly three hours away and its currently 2:30AM. Is there anything I can do? Things seem to be going from bad to worse. She hasn't been wanting to eat for the past two weeks, and I thought that it might be the bedding, so I changed it to paper towels. I noticed that she was losing scales, when I picked her up to put her back in her cage after switching to paper towels, so I know that it can't be from them. She's going crazy trying to get those scales off, pushing her water bowl around and rubbing against her hide box. Is my only option right now, to let it run its course and try to handle it in the morning? I've never experienced anything like this before. I'm also thinking it could be the Neosporin that i'm using, because yesterday I had to get another tube. Its called, "Triple Antibiotic Ointment" and the original tube I used was actually called Neosporin. Is there a certain chemical that I could check to see if it has in it?
    ANY help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    I've got no medical advice or experience of scale rot but the important bit of advice would be to not panic. Don't jump into any intervention without consideration/advice. Make sure she is clean and safe.

Can you post a photo of the ingredient list of the new ointment?

Would it be possible to phone a reptile vet for advice on what to do until you can get her to them?
    Last edited by Pug50; 05-02-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks

Re: My Ball Python's scales a falling off

I can't send a photo but I can tell you whats in it, Bacitracin, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin-B Sulfate.
    And I don't imagine any vets are open right now, but I can try to call first thing in the morning.

Thanks
    I read that silver sulfadiazine cream is suppose to help wit scale rot but Idk with how bad your saying it is. Vet ASAP

Thanks

I don't think that the scale rot is the problem, it was almost gone. I honestly don't know what caused this. After some looking around, i'm not even sure if she ever had scale rot, it might have been a bad reaction to the bedding that was previously in her cage.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AFancySkedar View Post
    I can't send a photo but I can tell you whats in it, Bacitracin, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin-B Sulfate.
    And I don't imagine any vets are open right now, but I can try to call first thing in the morning.
    There's always someone " on call" for emergencies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AFancySkedar View Post
    I don't think that the scale rot is the problem, it was almost gone. I honestly don't know what caused this. After some looking around, i'm not even sure if she ever had scale rot, it might have been a bad reaction to the bedding that was previously in her cage.
    What were you using as bedding before? Also I've read on different threads that neosporin is only for short term use, Idk if it's all kinds or only certain formulations. I would try silver sulfadiazine cream, it treats a variety of conditions and is safe for bp. Idk if you can get it over the counter or if it has to he a prescription.

Thanks

Aspen but I suspect that it was crossed with pine, and I've been applying Neo. for less than a week. She only started losing scales today as well, I don't know what cause this extreme reaction.

Thanks
    Pine is poison to other reptiles. I would assume the same for snakes.

Thanks

But the odd thing is, none of my other snakes are having any reactions from the bedding. Either way, i'm switching them all to paper towels for the time being.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast