Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,348

0 members and 2,348 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,401
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball python won't eat

I have a somewhat new ball python I've had for a few weeks. At first I had her in a 20 gallon tall aquarium which heild no humidity however she ate fine. After a week or so I moved her into her current tub and maintain proper temps and humidity. I've tried feeding her around 3 or 4 times over the past 2 weeks and she has no interest. The hot side temp is warm to the touch so I'm guessing around 90 ish since our surface temp on our skin is around 83 and the abient air temps read 81 and sometimes it dip into the 70's at night however the surface temps remain constant. Humidity on the thermohydrometer reads 25% however I'm not sure it is correct due to the condensation in the tub. What I'm guessing started this fast is what i found abnormal. Around two weeks ago I was holding her and felt a smal lump near her vent. Thinking it was a form of genetalia I left it and around a day later I tried pushing it out. And to my surprise around 4 or 5 hard ovals came out, along with a large amount of foul smelling fluid. The lumps were similar to a pumice exfoliator. However they were very hard. Immediately I noticed she was a lot smaller in girth and had a small amount of her anus exposed, however I applied Vaseline and now it seems fine and she pooped a few days later. I didn't try feeding until a week later so she could heal and to my surprise I got no response. I'm hoping some more advanced keepers could chime in but any response would be appreciated. I have considered a vet however I'm only 15 and could not afford a vet visit which would probably cost more than the snake itself ($40). I undertand she is not a toy however I am willing to try any home remedies to help.
    Last edited by Joshyboy; 05-01-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    If she has an infection she'll need a vet. That's just all there is to it. If you're not able or willing to provide that, you could try to find a reptile rescue that will take her and provide proper vet care. The cheapest part of reptile care, most of the time, is the purchase price!

It sounds like she was egg bound. I don't know about the complexities of dealing with that so I'll leave that for others. Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll be OK now that she's expelled the bad eggs. Or not. Only a knowledgeable reptile vet could say for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    How old is this snake?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

Re: Ball python won't eat

Its a juvenile

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And to my surprise around 4 or 5 hard ovals came out, along with a large amount of foul smelling fluid.
    If those "ovals" were white what you actually pushed out out are urate and liquid urine.

For the anal prolapse it happens when you massage and try to help an animal pass out any possible blockage, in most cases it only last minutes, if it does not which is not the case it can be a SERIOUS issue. You should really not do this type of things with your limited experience BTW

As for eating you are offering TOO often do not offer more than once a week, the more you often the more it will lead to refusal.

I would suggest lowering the hot side to 86/88.

Leave your snake alone for a week NO HANDLING

Offer a live mouse (size equal the girth size of your snake) in the tub preferably in the evening, if not eaten remove after 10/15 min.

In the mean time NO handling until your BP eats for you.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Phew, not egg-bound. Well, that makes it easier . Hopefully she doesn't have any infections or anything like that, and the only problem is her not eating. Which is really common in BPs and not usually an emergency.

What kind of heating do you use? Any way to get an accurate hygrometer? The most common reason for a BP not eating is that the conditions are off. Doesn't have to be anything big---even a tiny change can make a difference. How many hides does she have, and how big are they?