Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,494

3 members and 2,491 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Hot?

Thanks

Too Hot?

Try to be brief. Recently moved to FL. I'm keeping all the enclosures in my garage BC of the high humidity and temperature. Which is working well BC I'm seeing 50/60% humidity 24/7. However my ambient temp is around 85/90 thruout the day. The heat lamps aren't even cycling on. I'm worried that the ambient temp is TOO hot and that they don't have a cool enough cold side. Should I be worried or are they OK? They obviously have water available. If this is a problem what are my options? I'm thinking a small 6 in fan? Or maybe a small mister to just spray one side?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Sage- 1300g Ball
    Daenerys- 89g Ball
    Snow- 65g Axanthic Ball

Thanks
    Personally I would say it's too hot. My cool sides are 24°c which is 75f if I'm not mistaken.
    Iv never had this problem so don't really have anything to go on but is there a way you could have them in a shed or something and keep the shed temp down which would be easy ?

Thanks
    Also (correct me if I'm wrong please) but wouldn't a fan just move the ambient temp air around and would do very little to actually cool it ?
    Same goes for a mister unless the water is kept cold to lower the temp

I thought you said you kept them in the garden not the garage sorry. Could cool the garage.

Thanks

Re: Too Hot?

Well like I said, the garage is insulated but not climate controlled. Putting an AC in here isn't an option but I can def put a fan blowing into their enclosures. That should help lower the temperature a bit

Sage- 1300g Ball
    Daenerys- 89g Ball
    Snow- 65g Axanthic Ball

Thanks
    You would need cool air blowing to lower the temp, blowing hot air is not going to do anything, if your lucky maybe a degree or 2. Your not giving your snakes an option to regulate its body temp especially when its 90 in there which could be stressful not having the option to get away. Right now I'm having the same problem Its 85 in my house but I haven't put my ac units in my windows yet bc are nights are still in the 30. Ive tired fans doesnt work. Luckily outside is around 65 so I'm able to put a fan in my window to blow the cooler air in and that keeps my cool sides at 82 and hot at 90 sometimes lower but then my rhp kicks on. Does your house have ac? If so I would move them inside and your heat devices will do there jobs. You can keep your humidity up with misters or humidifiers, there are lots of ways to improve humidity. My house humidity is at the lowest 15 and highest 25ish and I have no trouble keeping my humidity at 55-60 and no trouble bumping it up to 70 during shed.
    Last edited by chrid16371; 05-01-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks

Is the ambient temp in your garage the same as the vivs ?

Thanks

It's actually 2-3 degrees hotter in the Viv's. Greenhouse effect and that jazz. Right now the viv is 92 and the garage is reading 90.

Sage- 1300g Ball
    Daenerys- 89g Ball
    Snow- 65g Axanthic Ball

Thanks
    The humidity might be nice in the garage, but the heat is too much... those animals need the option to move to a cool side, which sounds like you're going to need to bring them inside the house.

Thanks

Well there are people who don't give a hot side and a cool side, they rely solely on ambient temps. I would assume that 90 might be a little too warm for an ambient temp setup, not sure though.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    If the ambient is pretty much the same then a fan won't do anything.
    Iv never heard of someone not having a hot or cold side like suggested above so I don't have any experience with this. I will say that I definitely DO NOT agree with doing that ! A snake needs to thermoregulate and I think it would be cruel not to provide them with that.
    Only way around keeping them in the garage and providing the right care that they need would be to cool the garage or at least the area that they are living in
    Or if your quite handy you could set up some sort of liquid cooling to create a cool spot which would be pretty sweet. Never seen anything like that before.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast