Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,404

0 members and 2,404 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Abscess growing on ball pythons head

I have noticed after this past shedding a abscess developing on my ball pythons head directly between the eyes. I am hoping someone out there has run into this issue and can give me some advice on what to do or how to treat it.
    Thanks
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    That's an infection, my boa had one further up her nose and needed surgery to drain it, with antibiotics for 30 days afterward. The one on your snake is close enough to the brain to be dangerous, it needs to get to a vet ASAP.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-27-2016),GoingPostal (04-28-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Abscess growing on ball pythons head

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    That's an infection, my boa had one further up her nose and needed surgery to drain it, with antibiotics for 30 days afterward. The one on your snake is close enough to the brain to be dangerous, it needs to get to a vet ASAP.
    ^This^

Abscess need to be removed and anti-biotics will need to be prescribed. Your only option is to go to a vet.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Does anyone have insight into what causes these types of sub dermal abscesses?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

I'm pretty sure this one was caused from a rat bite. I have been trying to get the snake to eat frozen rats for awhile and have had no luck. Exhibit A of why shouldn't use live rats

My problem is there is no reptile vet in my area and won't be able to get to one for at least three weeks. I have been looking into alternatives and have found that a broad spectrum antibiotic will probably be the best short term option till I can get to a vet. I'm considering Baytril, Fortum, or Amikacin. Does anyone have any suggestions on an antibiotic or another course of action?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcratzlaff View Post
    I'm pretty sure this one was caused from a rat bite. I have been trying to get the snake to eat frozen rats for awhile and have had no luck. Exhibit A of why shouldn't use live rats

My problem is there is no reptile vet in my area and won't be able to get to one for at least three weeks. I have been looking into alternatives and have found that a broad spectrum antibiotic will probably be the best short term option till I can get to a vet. I'm considering Baytril, Fortum, or Amikacin. Does anyone have any suggestions on an antibiotic or another course of action?
    Anti biotics will not take care of the issue, only removing the abscess will, the anti-biotic is prescribed afterward to prevent further infection. Once an abscess is there (caseous puss which is a solid form puss) only surgery will do the trick.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-27-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-27-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Anti biotics will not take care of the issue, only removing the abscess will, the anti-biotic is prescribed afterward to prevent further infection. Once an abscess is there (caseous puss which is a solid form puss) only surgery will do the trick.
    Do I need to worry about it getting larger and becoming a danger before I can get to the vet?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Do I need to worry about it getting larger and becoming a danger before I can get to the vet?
    Yes it can get bigger and become an issue.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Antibiotics should not be given unless directed so by a vet. Only a vet can prescribe antibiotics, and a vet can only do so after a physical exam. No one here can advise you, ethically or legally, as to which antibiotic to use because we either aren't veterinarians or haven't done an actual physical exam.
    Last edited by Spiritserpents; 04-27-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts

If you are comfortable shipping you could always FedEx it to the vet, I know mine accepts shipped animals for treatment from around the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast