Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,293

3 members and 2,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Which Book on BP Care?

I was wondering if there is a good book that I could get on Ball Python care. There are so many to choose from, but I don't know which ones are good. When I first bought my kids a corn snake, I bought them a book on Corn snake care, only to find that it had outdated info, and some inaccuracies. I love reading books on proper care of our animals with my kiddos. It's a great way to encourage them to read. I just want to be sure we are learning accurate information from what we're reading.
    Thanks everyone!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Honestly you already found the best place to learn about their husbandry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (05-14-2016)

Thanks

Re: Which Book on BP Care?

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Honestly you already found the best place to learn about their husbandry.
    That's great, and I do love this forum. I am already learning a lot here, even though I read a bunch of care sheets before I got her. The book is really so I can encourage my 9 year old twin boys to read. Like many kids, they often scoff when I tell them to go spend some time reading, and treat it like a chore. I love to read, and I think it's good for you, so I have found that a great way to get them to read, is to get books about our pets, and how to care for them. My kids love animals, bugs, and science. One of them announced to me at the age of 5, that he wants to be an entomologist. The other one, has always said he wants to be a scientist, but recently decided he wants to be a zoologist. Reading books together on caring for our animals is just something we like to do now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArvadaLanee For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-14-2016),embrit345 (04-27-2016)

Thanks
    Upping this since I wanted to ask the same thing!!

The only books I find that have good reviews are 10yo about morphs making them quite outdated but still wondering if the information is good, but all reviews were not made recently so cannot say.

A friend told my about reptilmag, but they are french book so not much help.
    Fall 2015 :
    "I'll only get one" I said, cuddling a bp hatchling "See how it goes"
    Two months later :
    2 adults, 2 juveniles and 1 bci.
    "Oops"
    Next month :
    Conquering the world

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As far as I can tell, all the cornsnake books are dated. The old timers who write the books don't tend to adopt the latest techniques/equipment of the hobby (like t-stats). They give instruction on how they have always kept them, but that is not necessairly the current best advice to ensure sucess for a beginner.

That said, I still like books, and they are proof that there can be more than one way to keep these animals healthy.
    Also, the internet may not always be accessible. Good to have another source.

Re. BP's, and care info, I would probably choose the Kevin McCurley (spell? of NERD) book - not the big new one on morphs, but the older, slimmer one. Amazon listed it, last time I looked. I don't have a BP yet, so I don't haven't bought that one yet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    As far as I can tell, all the cornsnake books are dated. The old timers who write the books don't tend to adopt the latest techniques/equipment of the hobby (like t-stats). They give instruction on how they have always kept them, but that is not necessairly the current best advice to ensure sucess for a beginner.

That said, I still like books, and they are proof that there can be more than one way to keep these animals healthy.
    Also, the internet may not always be accessible. Good to have another source.

Re. BP's, and care info, I would probably choose the Kevin McCurley (spell? of NERD) book - not the big new one on morphs, but the older, slimmer one. Amazon listed it, last time I looked. I don't have a BP yet, so I don't haven't bought that one yet.
    This one?

http://amzn.com/097673348X
    Cersei - Female Pastel
    KingSlayer - Male Pastave Het. Hypo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I've been doing this snake thing a long time. Books will mostly tell you things that worked fine, from some pretty knowledgable people. Times change, so do technics. Few of the pioneers of this hobby recommended tanks. Don't think many on here would agree. Sure some would be surprised to see a book written by one of the big dogs, that recommends that. But it's out there. Two books I personally own. If you want proof, I'll provide it. To those of you who know, tell us their names. Two are a couple. For those who don't, welcome to the hobby. Hint one name has already been mentioned. Not sure if it's that book or not, mine has a different cover. Hats off to those who did this before the Internet.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

The "ball python manual" by Phillipe de Vosjoli with Roger Klingenberg DVM. Is a great manual to have on your shelf.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (05-14-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoku View Post
    Or, maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Compr...8TYA3VTW0TMCW5

(long link - hope it works) This one is $40-something, IIRC same guy (I like his videos). Probably a bit more in-depth, not sure; haven't looked at either closely, since I haven't needed a copy yet.
    Last edited by distaff; 05-14-2016 at 02:26 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    The "ball python manual" by Phillipe de Vosjoli with Roger Klingenberg DVM. Is a great manual to have on your shelf.
    deVosjoli is one of my favorites - I have his Art of Keeping Snakes. He has a good interview with Nick Mutton (Herp Nation Radio) on gekos. I'll look into ordering his book (didn't know he wrote one) on BP care when I finally get a BP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast