Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,588

2 members and 2,586 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Ball python has not pooped

Hello guys my name is Daniel I finally got a ball python after wanting one for years. I named him Ruger he is a killerbee ball python and is still a baby. When I got him he Weighed at 102 grams and seemed very healthy. I set up a 20 gallon tank using UTH on a thermostat for his heat source and I keep it at 90-95F over head incandescent light on a 12/12 cycle for his day/night. 2 hides one on the hot side the other on the cold and a sturdy water bowl that he can easily fit in. I change the water every other day and I spray down the cage once daily I also use a digital hydrometer to keep the cage at 50-60% humidity always I also use Plexiglas to cover the screen top 3/4 the way to hold the humidity at 50 to 60%. Now with all that being said i got him on april 12th a Tuesday the breeder I got him from said they feed every Thursday so I skipped that Thursday to let him get used to his new home once he started to seem hungry or like he was waiting for pray to pass by his hide because he would always have his head poking out of the hide and would follow everyone or everything thing that moved so I fed him and sure enough he snatched the rat right up 5 days later I weighed him in at 130 grams and fed him another rat pup witch he wasted no time taking down. So my question is this it has now been 5 days again (12 in total) and he has not pooped out anything of his last 2 meals. I have read several different answers on here and I know there is not really a exact answer to when A BP should poop basically its just they will go when they need to. But is it ok to feed him as scheduled and not worry about it? Any help would be great appreciated thank you guys so much and this page rocks!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    feed on schedule. nothing to worry about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

dhaley (04-26-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Ball python has not pooped

There is no schedule when it come to bowel movement, it can take a few days or and few weeks, it depends on the animal itself, prey size and feeding frequency.

For example a young animal may use most of the prey item for growth, leaving very little to be eliminated.

Feed on schedule, he will go when ready.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dhaley (04-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dhaley View Post
    Hello guys my name is Daniel I finally got a ball python after wanting one for years. I named him Ruger he is a killerbee ball python and is still a baby. When I got him he Weighed at 102 grams and seemed very healthy. I set up a 20 gallon tank using UTH on a thermostat for his heat source and I keep it at 90-95F over head incandescent light on a 12/12 cycle for his day/night. 2 hides one on the hot side the other on the cold and a sturdy water bowl that he can easily fit in. I change the water every other day and I spray down the cage once daily I also use a digital hydrometer to keep the cage at 50-60% humidity always I also use Plexiglas to cover the screen top 3/4 the way to hold the humidity at 50 to 60%. Now with all that being said i got him on april 12th a Tuesday the breeder I got him from said they feed every Thursday so I skipped that Thursday to let him get used to his new home once he started to seem hungry or like he was waiting for pray to pass by his hide because he would always have his head poking out of the hide and would follow everyone or everything thing that moved so I fed him and sure enough he snatched the rat right up 5 days later I weighed him in at 130 grams and fed him another rat pup witch he wasted no time taking down. So my question is this it has now been 5 days again (12 in total) and he has not pooped out anything of his last 2 meals. I have read several different answers on here and I know there is not really a exact answer to when A BP should poop basically its just they will go when they need to. But is it ok to feed him as scheduled and not worry about it? Any help would be great appreciated thank you guys so much and this page rocks!
    don't worry about it. some BP's poop weekly, some poop every other week, some monthly. a BP will poop when it wants to. lol i have one that builds up a big sausage butt everytime and only poops when it sheds. i wouldn't worry unless it develops a hard stomach. also keep feeding as normal. a BP will refuse when it knows it's full or not hungry.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

dhaley (04-26-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was you not that long ago. I am still a fairly new owner and became worried after a month of no poop. So naturally I posted a thread and was reassured by the friendly/knowledgeable folks on BP.net. Finally after 2.5 months we found a poop! I can't believe we were so excited by a bowel movement LOL

It will come.
    Valentine's Keeper

Thanks

geez 2.5 months really! was he/she eating every week?

Thanks

My baby poops about every 2 months when she sheds, and my adult just held his poo for nearly 5 months during his fast. I wouldn't worry if I were you as long as your not feeling any hard masses in the vent area or noticing behavior changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gaitedappy For This Useful Post:

dhaley (04-26-2016)

Thanks
    My ball went several feelings before pooping. He passed a urate or two along the way, but didn't unload for a few weeks at least. And when he did, I swear it could've made it in a world record book for most massive poop lol

Some snakes just digest more thoroughly than others (usually depending on age - the younger ones still have growing to do) The more they use up, the less they'll have to excrete, so it takes longer for waste to build up in there enough for it to pass.

like others have said, don't stress. Just keep him on a regular feeding schedule and it'll come when it's ready
    Last edited by Chosovi; 04-26-2016 at 07:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chosovi For This Useful Post:

dhaley (04-26-2016)

Thanks
    *feedings. Shoot! I always notice my typos by the time it's too late
    Last edited by Chosovi; 04-27-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Lol you're the first person to complain about not having to pick up crap. But what goes in must come out. Your bp will be fine