Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,301

0 members and 2,301 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Unhappy Overly agressive ball python

Okay so I am new to owning ball pythons and have only had mine for a couple months. He is in the juvenile stage and not fully grown yet, I handle him frequently, every couple of days and have not really had any problems, a little strike prone at first but he seemed to be calming down. But over the last few weeks he's been having trouble eating as well as acting tense and worsening to the point where when I tried to pick him up tonight, he defensively bit me then when I put him down he continued to try to strike at me through the glass multiple times. His temperature and humidity is normal, I have two hides on opposite sides of the tank, and when this behavior started it was too early for him to go into shed as his last shed was on March 31st. Also I fed him ONCE in his tank last feed because he wouldnt eat in his feeding tub and would just defensive strike the food. Any insight to why he is acting this way would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Okay, what is your opinion of "normal" heat and humidity. Would need numbers.

Second, feeding in a feeding tub is a myth and actually does the opposite of what you are trying to do. Don't get me wrong, many people have success with it, but from what I have noticed, many people who have aggressive BPs feed in a feeding tub. I always suggest that people feed exclusively in the enclosure. I have never had a BP become aggressive because of feeding in the enclosure they live in. When snakes eat, usually by feeding time they are hungry and irritable. Once you feed them and they eat they are in a hunting mode and you are risking a bite and a constrict. Also, once their belly is full, they become defensive as they are instinctively slugglish as they begin to digest. This is very stressful for a snake, especially one in a new environment. Get rid of the feeding tub.

There is no such thing as shedding early. Some snakes need to shed sooner then usual. I find my snakes with stuck sheds will shed within a couple of weeks after the bad shed. Some just shed because they feel the need to. If they are injured or have mites they may shed more often but if that is not the case, there is nothing wrong with them shedding a little earlier then usual.

Thanks
    The humidity right now is at 70% and the temperature at 73 farenheit. I also have not noticed his eyes clouding over or skin becoming duller.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 730 Posts
    Temp is 73 where? Your ambient temp should be high 70's-low 80s with a hot spot around 88-92 so sounds to me like your snake is way cold. How are you judging temps and how is the cage heated? Is this a fish tank?

Thanks
    Yes I use a glass tank, yes I know its not the greatest in the world to keep him in a glass tank.
    He has an undertank heater and i use a tank thermometer, I have a heat lamp I was using before if that needs to be added but he also uses both sides, and i find him actually using his cool side hide more than his heated side. Is it possible the uth is getting too hot for him and he's retreating to the cool side even though its colder than it should be?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Overly agressive ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Veylith View Post
    He has an undertank heater and i use a tank thermometer, I have a heat lamp I was using before if that needs to be added but he also uses both sides, and i find him actually using his cool side hide more than his heated side. Is it possible the uth is getting too hot for him and he's retreating to the cool side even though its colder than it should be?
    Are you regulating your UTH?
    You need a thermostat and chances are you are taking your temps in the wrong spot too.

Thanks
    Alright I'll try that and see how it works out. Thanks for the help.