Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,378

1 members and 2,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,767
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb just a question, trying to save money!

Is it possible to use a heating pad like the one you use for a sore muscle as a heating pad for the snake because i really don't want to spend $30 + on a heating pad.
    the one i have for muscles has high med and low setting and it gets hot jw if i could use it. thanks

Thanks

Re: just a question, trying to save money!

no. Also, if you do buy a heating pad make sure you get some kind of thermostat or regulator or you will cook your snake. My friend did that to his in high school.
    Last edited by DTK; 04-21-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    3.12 Ball Pythons
    1.2 Dogs
    .1 Wife

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    No, you can't... The ones used for humans are simply made differently, so that their minimum heat level is way too hot for a snake. Your snake will probably cook in an hour. Do you realize that 90 degrees (the maximum average "heated" temp for a snake) just feels like room temperature to human skin?

They're really not that expensive. Buy one on reptilebasics. https://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Before you even get a heat pad though, you need a thermostat (not a thermometer... a thermoSTAT). It keeps the temperature below ~92 that you will set it at, so your snake won't cook and burn. Even the heating pads for reptiles will get up to 110 F and over, which will burn your snake, if you don't have it plugged into a thermostat.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 04-21-2016 at 03:03 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-21-2016),bcr229 (04-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,523 Times in 2,705 Posts

I've never used a heat pad that wasn't designed for use on a reptile enclosure. I would think the ones for humans would get quite hot. I also don't believe one should shirk on buying quality equipment for keeping their animals. $30 for a quality under tank heater is a very worthwhile investment IMO.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-21-2016)

Thanks
    Skimping on the heating element is probably the worst thing you could skimp on in bp husbandry imo. $30 isn't worth potentially killing your snake over.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pariahdog For This Useful Post:

Snoopyslim (04-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Before you even get a heat pad though, you need a thermostat (not a thermometer... a thermoSTAT). It keeps the temperature below ~92 that you will set it at, so your snake won't cook and burn. Even the heating pads for reptiles will get up to 110 F and over, which will burn your snake, if you don't have it plugged into a thermostat.
    This. Your snake's heat source is not a place to skimp. Get it wrong on either end - too cold or too hot - and you're looking at a vet bill for either a sick snake or a burned snake. That vet bill will run you many times what you would spend on correct heating equipment.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Snoopyslim (04-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

No no no...no. Do it right, a proper set up for one snake will not break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Snoopyslim (04-21-2016)

Thanks

Just get some THG heat tape. Rather inexpensive and very easy to wire. They have plenty of youtube videos showing how it is done. If you don't want to do that reptile basics will do it for you.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape/6-heat-tape/

"We can also assemble your order to your specifications. If you would like us to connect you Wire/Clipset for you please also select the heat tape connection option on the wire set and leave us instructions in the comments box when checking out." per reptile basics site.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    I bought my under tank heaters online from BigAlspets.com. They were much cheaper than the pet store, or other places, especially since they are often on sale. I think I paid $13.00 for the 10-20 gallon size. (They wanted $25.00 for the same one at my local petco.) For the thermostat, I like to use hydrofarm, or Vivo Sun brand, which I have found on amazon, or ebay, for about $28.00. I like to check both because sometimes you get lucky, like once eBay had a sale and I got one for $20.00. I did recently see a thermostat on amazon for $18.00, but it was a brand I haven't tried. I did see in the reviews that some people were using it for snakes, so maybe you could try it out. The good thing is, you only have to buy it once, and shouldn't need to buy it again for a long time. You can save money by using newspaper for substrate, and making your own hides out of cardboard, and things like that, but heating is so important for a snake. Good luck. I hope you can find a good deal.

Thanks
    Doesn't seem like a bad idea... I mean if it's controlled by a good thermostat it should be at the correct temp no matter the quality of uth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast