Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,448

3 members and 2,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,768
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

New BP Questions

Hello all. I just got a new baby girl on Saturday at Repticon. We have 2 corn snakes, but this is my first ever BP, and I have some questions. (I did read about basic care requirements before I got her.)
    First of all, I was just wondering about substrate depth. I'm not sure if BP's like to burrow and dig as much as corns do. For now, I have it a little over and inch, with a thicker mound to the side of her cool hide. I have a paper towel roll on top of the big mound that she seems to enjoy hiding in, but so far, I haven't observed any burrowing.
    My next question is just whether anyone has any tips for me on her first feeding tomorrow. I'm a little nervous, since I've read so much about them being pains when it comes to feeding. Her seller assured me that she hasn't refused a meal yet, and has eaten every Wednesday since hatching, 3 months ago. She is on f/t hoppers. A friend of mine said he uses a blowdryer on his mice after thawing them, to improve feeding response. It sounds like that's pretty standard with PB's, so I thought I'd give it a try. With the corns, we are able to just warm them in hot water, dry them off, and hand them over with the tongs. Should I try using the tongs with the new girl right away, or should I just drop the mouse in her feeding tub, and cover it with a towel in case she's a shy eater? I have read varying opinions on the use of a separate feeding enclosure, but I planned to go ahead and use one. I always have with the corns, and I kind of like it. I know corns and BP's are different, I swear, sometimes the corns get all excited just being put into the feeding tub, because they know food is coming, so I'm hoping it can become an association thing. Feeding tub = Food! Any thoughts on this?
    My most important question is about regulating temps in an ever changing environment. I hate the stupid thermostats I got for her, with a fiery passion, and when I get paid again I'm ordering some damn hydro farms, or Vivo suns, like I use for the corns, because they work so much better. Unfortunately, I can't order them until I get paid, and then it will take a few days to get them here. I'm also just a little worried about how well even those will work with our crazy weather. Here in Wisconsin, Spring is a fickle mistress, and one day it can be 70 degrees, but feel like over 80, and we have to run the air because our place is like an oven, but then the next day it will drop to 40 degrees. Her hides will be fine, (that's kind of why I did the thicker substrate, as that seems to help keep the hide temps more even) but it's the ambient temp I worry about. I hate for her air to get stale, but I am using a glass top for now to keep that temp up, and humidity in. Any thoughts or suggestions for better ways would be greatly appreciated. I am not using a heat lamp, as I think that would be too much heat, and dry out the air. I am using 2 uths. For humity, I like using moist clumps of reptile moss, and she also has a wet hide, for when she wants a little extra humidity.

Hopefully I'm doing alright, so far. Feel free to give ma any advice, or tips you have! I want her to have the best care possible. Thanks for reading everyone, and Happy Herping!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New BP Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ArvadaLanee View Post
    Hello all. I just got a new baby girl on Saturday at Repticon. We have 2 corn snakes, but this is my first ever BP, and I have some questions. (I did read about basic care requirements before I got her.)
    First of all, I was just wondering about substrate depth. I'm not sure if BP's like to burrow and dig as much as corns do. For now, I have it a little over and inch, with a thicker mound to the side of her cool hide. I have a paper towel roll on top of the big mound that she seems to enjoy hiding in, but so far, I haven't observed any burrowing.
    My next question is just whether anyone has any tips for me on her first feeding tomorrow. I'm a little nervous, since I've read so much about them being pains when it comes to feeding. Her seller assured me that she hasn't refused a meal yet, and has eaten every Wednesday since hatching, 3 months ago. She is on f/t hoppers. A friend of mine said he uses a blowdryer on his mice after thawing them, to improve feeding response. It sounds like that's pretty standard with PB's, so I thought I'd give it a try. With the corns, we are able to just warm them in hot water, dry them off, and hand them over with the tongs. Should I try using the tongs with the new girl right away, or should I just drop the mouse in her feeding tub, and cover it with a towel in case she's a shy eater? I have read varying opinions on the use of a separate feeding enclosure, but I planned to go ahead and use one. I always have with the corns, and I kind of like it. I know corns and BP's are different, I swear, sometimes the corns get all excited just being put into the feeding tub, because they know food is coming, so I'm hoping it can become an association thing. Feeding tub = Food! Any thoughts on this?
    My most important question is about regulating temps in an ever changing environment. I hate the stupid thermostats I got for her, with a fiery passion, and when I get paid again I'm ordering some damn hydro farms, or Vivo suns, like I use for the corns, because they work so much better. Unfortunately, I can't order them until I get paid, and then it will take a few days to get them here. I'm also just a little worried about how well even those will work with our crazy weather. Here in Wisconsin, Spring is a fickle mistress, and one day it can be 70 degrees, but feel like over 80, and we have to run the air because our place is like an oven, but then the next day it will drop to 40 degrees. Her hides will be fine, (that's kind of why I did the thicker substrate, as that seems to help keep the hide temps more even) but it's the ambient temp I worry about. I hate for her air to get stale, but I am using a glass top for now to keep that temp up, and humidity in. Any thoughts or suggestions for better ways would be greatly appreciated. I am not using a heat lamp, as I think that would be too much heat, and dry out the air. I am using 2 uths. For humity, I like using moist clumps of reptile moss, and she also has a wet hide, for when she wants a little extra humidity.

Hopefully I'm doing alright, so far. Feel free to give ma any advice, or tips you have! I want her to have the best care possible. Thanks for reading everyone, and Happy Herping!
    I'm unsure if this is true for other BP, but mine loves to burrow. For feeding, I just put the mouse in a plastic bag and put it in warm water, and I do not use a special feeding tub. I understand why many do, but in my opinion they could associate being taken out as feeding time if you do not handle them. I also and from Wisconsin, but my temperatures don't vary too much since it's in the basement. You may have to add a RHP or a heat lamp to bump up ambient l, especially for winter. Also, if you haven't already it may be a good idea to insulate around the tank.

Thanks

Thanks. That's a great idea. I'm thinking maybe using aluminum foil would work really well to keep heat in. We are in an upper apartment, so our heat fluctuates a lot. We are affected by the downstairs neighbor's heat, and even wind makes a big difference. It hasn't been an issue with the corns, but they have different requirements, and shorter tanks. I'm thinking I may switch them around soon, and move the BP into one of the 10 gallons, and let one of the corns have the 16 gallon tall that the BP is currently in. I'm planning a DIY project for a 55 gallon I have, to make an awesome display tank for one of the corns this summer, but I might switch them around earlier since the BP's needs are more difficult to maintain in the taller enclosure. Maybe I will pick up a heat bulb, too. I do have a fixture for it.

Thanks
    I said this to someone else earlier today but I don't think there's any benefit to using a separate feeding tub for bps, especially since they're already finicky eaters and moving them after eating will stress them out or even trigger a regurge. Go ahead and feed in the regular enclosure, once she's settled you'll learn each others habits, and you'll be able to tell when she's hungry and she'll know when it's feeding time.

Thanks

Thanks. Do you recommend just dropping the mouse in then, maybe on a Tupperware lid or something, so she won't accidentally swallow any substrate? Or do BP's like the whole zombie mouse dance with the tongs to make them feel like it's alive? Will it be alright to feed her a bit earlier in the evening? I feel kind of bad because she likes to do her exploring late at night, but I don't really want to stay up too late if I don't have to. I'm sure I'll get all this stuff down. I was the same nervous wreck when I got our first corn, and now I feel very comfortable with our corns. I guess it's just "new Mom" jitters. Or I'm just nuts. Either way, thanks for the tip.

Thanks

You can do the lid thing if it makes you feel more comfortable I got tired of doing that after a while, now I just put the rat on the substrate and move on to the next one lol. Some of mine like the zombie dance, others I'll toss the rat in and they eat without striking (I feed fresh killed so it's still warm, I find that helps in attracting them)

I usually feed anytime from the afternoon to late evening, depends on when I cull my rats. Don't worry too much about the time. The jitters will go away eventually

Thanks
    Thank you. I really am sure I will figure it out. I am just a worrier. It's because I love my animals, so probably not a bad thing. Thanks for the help, everyone. I am already learning.

Thanks
    My BP's have all been avid tong feeders-- if I dangle it, they will take it, no issue. My colubrids are the troublesome ones in that regard. I do heat the heads of my rodents by sticking them under a heat lamp for a couple of minutes prior to feeding, after they have been dethawed. This seems to trigger a better response and gets them to swallow head first, which seems easier.

I have not found my BP's to be as interested in burrowing as my colubrids. They seem to prefer their hides.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

ArvadaLanee (04-21-2016)