Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,216

1 members and 1,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,223
Threads: 248,632
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, mizmenabee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unsure if I should get her.

Here's the dilemma. I have the chance to pick up a pretty nice 0.1 that would fit well into my breeding plans. That's the no brainer part of this. The rub is that she's a package deal. She comes with a 3500+g 0.1 Sub Saharan. This girl is massive and nearly 6 feet. I've seen her in person several times. The bonus is that she consistently throws 15 egg clutches. Personality wise, she's as temperamental as you'd expect from a big wild caught. I got back into the hobby last year for the enjoyment of it, not to pump out tons of eggs. All of my BPs come out and are socialized. I could give this girl a well cared for life sure, but that's about it. She'd be a breeder and nothing more. I really am struggling with this one and would appreciate thoughts and feedback.

Thanks,

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Re: Unsure if I should get her.

Wow.. tough one right there.. Would you be bound to keep the wild caught? Kinda sounds like good deal 🙂

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Spikell

0.1 Pastel Firefly - star
    0.1 Axanthic (tsk) - bellis
    1.0 Pastel Pied - skittles
    0.1 GHI Mojave - lagertha

Thanks
    Just curious, since I can't really give any good advice... I'd be pretty hesitant, myself... but why not get them, then sell the sub-Saharan to someone who's interested in breeding for the larger size, or who just wants to try their hand with a wild-caught? Is there a buying clause that you can't resell? If not, you could give her a good home - then send her to a home that was looking for something like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spikell75 View Post
    Wow.. tough one right there.. Would you be bound to keep the wild caught? Kinda sounds like good deal 🙂

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    I would be.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Just curious, since I can't really give any good advice... I'd be pretty hesitant, myself... but why not get them, then sell the sub-Saharan to someone who's interested in breeding for the larger size, or who just wants to try their hand with a wild-caught? Is there a buying clause that you can't resell? If not, you could give her a good home - then send her to a home that was looking for something like that.
    I wouldn't be able to resell her without risking a friendship. The owner wants me to have them and has not offered them to anyone else at this point. There's a high level of trust there and they know I'll take good care of them. Once I take ownership, they're here for the duration. I know a lot of folks would jump at a big Sub Saharan. Does anyone know if that adds value to her offspring? Will they be bigger than normal?

Dave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AKA Dave For This Useful Post:

MrKai (07-07-2016)

Thanks
    I can't help with the genetics of it....

but if the friends wants you to have them, is there a chance the friendship will be strained if you refuse?

If there is a situation behind it, like the friend needs funds now, and has to part with animals...but doesn't want to... So they pick someone they know will care for them...

I would do it. If you have what they are asking for, and it won't cause you a hardship money wise, then I would do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    I can't help with the genetics of it....

but if the friends wants you to have them, is there a chance the friendship will be strained if you refuse?

If there is a situation behind it, like the friend needs funds now, and has to part with animals...but doesn't want to... So they pick someone they know will care for them...

I would do it. If you have what they are asking for, and it won't cause you a hardship money wise, then I would do it.
    Not a money issue. If it were, they'd just get the money, especially if it didn't cause hardship to myself or family.

Dave

EDIT TO ADD: Friendship would not be strained either way.
    Last edited by AKA Dave; 04-17-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks

I would not make the deal.

I've been doing this for a long time and during that time have gotten into several breeding projects with friends, almost in every case something went wrong and the friendship was strained or no longer exists.

I know you're not going into partnership with this guy, but when your dealing with a previous owner that has that much emotion invested in his snakes, in my opinion you're asking for trouble.

Let the snakes go / Keep the friendship.

Just my $.02

Brian Gundy / For Goodness Snakes / 408-981-6694

10. The Following User Says Thank You to For Goodness Snakes For This Useful Post:

distaff (04-17-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Dave View Post
    I wouldn't be able to resell her without risking a friendship. The owner wants me to have them and has not offered them to anyone else at this point. There's a high level of trust there and they know I'll take good care of them. Once I take ownership, they're here for the duration. I know a lot of folks would jump at a big Sub Saharan. Does anyone know if that adds value to her offspring? Will they be bigger than normal?

Dave
    I don't get it.
    Sounds a bit manipulative on their part.
    Business is business; if they want to part with the sub-Saharan, they should take the trouble to find a keeper who wants her.
    Not your responsibility to be her "forever home."
    Surely the genes you want can be found elsewhere?
    Last edited by distaff; 04-17-2016 at 01:01 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Megg (04-17-2016)

Thanks
    Personally, I'd go ahead and get them. You get one that you want, and the other gets a good home. It sounds like your friend wants what's best for the snakes - in other words, a responsible and caring owner - and that's you. The big girl, in my opinion, would make an impressive display snake (In a display cage). She sounds huge! She may never be able to be handled... then again, if you take it slow, she may mellow out eventually. I have three mustangs, that came off the range wild and untouched. Not snakes, of course, but two of them, with time, patience and consistency, are as mild or milder than any domestic-bred horse now. The third has some major security issues, and I think some psychological issues... as well as a genetic defect, a club foot, which is probably the source of the other two problems. She will never be mild, and I would never trust her enough to put a rider on her unless they were extremely experienced and knew what they were getting into. But even she has come around to where I can handle her, despite being untouched for the first four years of her life.

I'd go for it, and just try to work with that Sub-Saharan when you can. Maybe, with time, she'll settle down - and if not, she'd still make an impressive conversation piece. And you can go look at what nature produced, and see how different it is from what selective breeding can do.
    Last edited by Caspian; 04-17-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast