Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,473

3 members and 2,470 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,401
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
    Thanks

Question Why for he roam?

I am worried he isn't comfy in his bigger terrarium. He has been roaming around a lot. I have great temps (77 cool side, warm hut 94, warm side 85, ambient 81) with the help of my herpstat, his warm hide is toasty and he loves it but lately he has been roaming. He however totally knocks out right in the open so I thought he was good but now he is mega roaming and I'm worried. He did however just poop so maybe he is hungry, he pooped a lot earlier actually and had a big pee too. I feed him on Thursdays and it's Monday, usually he doesn't start roaming until Wednesday and he doesn't poop until then too but he started roaming Sunday night and pooped on Monday. Tonight he just wont stop trying to get out! This may seem hinky but I am ovulating and noticed that last time I ovulated he also started roaming more, maybe it's a thing. Does my tank look alright? I am also feeding him weaned rats he is at 410 grams now and I noticed he has gotten thicker and is about ready for the size up so maybe that is why he is hungry early, I also just treated him for pin worms and he was a bit skinny to begin with but he seems to be fattening up nicely, eating well in fact every week since I got him, had a weird shed but I followed the guide and he is doing great except for the roaming. Oh and the cat has been chilling out in this room more, I don't think Monty can see him but he might be able to smell him, honestly this cat has started stalking me and I wonder if it is because he noticed the snake. What ever here is my tank and you can see Monty trying to climb out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Overall the tank looks nice. I do have two suggestions.

1. I like adding moss to my hides. During a shed you can make it damp and it will really help your sheds. It also helps the snake feel secure. I bring up security because of the hides you are using. The half logs are not that great for snakes because they have two large openings. What I like to do is stuff moss in the end pushed against the glass and then put another clump at the other opening. This will allow your snake to easily slither through the moss to hide inside and will make the snake feel more secure in the hide. This alone could help limit the roaming.

2. The hot hide sounds a bit warm. I keep my BP hotspot between 88-90. Nothing more is needed. Having the hotspot in the upper range leaves very little room for the temp to change and become a undesirable temp for you snake. I would drop it a bit. This to could help limit the roaming.

However, with those two suggestions they may work and they may not. It could be hunger or any other thing. All you can do is try a few things and see if it helps. In the end it may be nothing and you may just have a curious snake. Being a snake owner you will learn that many times our snakes seem to do things just to confuse us and make us worry.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    I am not doing moss right now although I usually do because he has been wheezing and I need to keep the temps high and the enclosure dry until I hear from the vet. His half logs all have fake foliage on the back of them and if not against the glass and I use construction paper against the glass on the outside behind his logs to make him feel safe, he has used them all before multiple times. His warm hide is 90 before he is in it and goes up to 94 with him blocking air flow, I also have a hide at 89, one at 85, one at 81 and one at 79. His hammock and climbing stick sit at 80 and he tends to prefer to hang out on them literally when he doesn't want to be warm.