Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,285

1 members and 2,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,405
Threads: 248,766
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Miramiraonthewa11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Minor Burn Treatment

My thermostat probe wasn't secured very well and my BP managed to move it around. So the heat pad got really hot (close to 100F) and I am pretty sure my snake has some minor burns. There are some small dark brown spots placed randomly on his belly that I think are burns, no redness or pus (it's dry) though. No break in the skin/scales either.
    I'm going to make an appointment with the vet soon, I was just wondering what to expect in terms of treatment. And what to do in the meantime.

So far I soaked him in some cool/warm water to help the burn then dried him off and put him back.
    Made sure the probe was secured well. I'm probably going to move it between the heatpad and the outside of his tub so he can't get to it later. It requires unsticking his heatpad though. Will the plastic/rubber covering the wire of the probe be okay being directly against the heatpad?

thanks!
    Last edited by blubudgie; 04-04-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks

Re: Minor Burn Treatment

That's where the probe is actually supposed to go, between the pad and your enclosure. Treatment for the burn will depend on severity. For now you can do a shallow soak in water and betadine.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    That's where the probe is actually supposed to go, between the pad and your enclosure. Treatment for the burn will depend on severity. For now you can do a shallow soak in water and betadine.

I have the probe in the right place now. Does this look okay? Theres like some gap since the heat pad can't stick directly on the bin anymore.

I just did a betadine soak.
    I called the vet but they don't look at snakes, I can get an appointment at a place that does but thats in like 2 weeks. Does this need to be looked at immediately? This is the biggest burn part:

Theres a few more that look like this or smaller:
    thanks!

Thanks

Looks good now.
    That doesn't really look like a burn to me. There is certainly some sort of discoloration, but I'm not sure what. The betadine soaks can be kept up, and in the meantime hopefully someone else can weigh in on what this could be.

- The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

If it's really a burn, you're going to find out in a few days. Your BP is going to shed; if the areas are red it's a burned. For treatment you could use Neosporin and Betadine. Until you visit your vet. You can't use them for long-term medication. The Neosporin will start loosening the scales. The Betadine is great but the only problem with it is that not only it kills Bad bacteria, it also kills good bacteria as well. That's what my vet told me.

Medicine
    They are going to give you silver Sulfadiazene cream for the burn and if the injuries are infected they will also give you Ceftazidime injections.

You will have to soak your BP in warm water for 10 - 15 minutes; dry the It up and apply the Sliver Sulfadiazene cream daily.
    The Ceftazidime injections are once every three days.

For the tub you will have to go basic. Paper towels as substrate, a water bowl, and a hid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Doesn't look too bad personally. The way you got the probe set now will work but you can also tape the probe directly to the back of the heat pad also making sure not to tape the end of the probe. Then you want to use either a thermometer or better yet a temp gun and dial in the temp while taking the reading directly off the bottom of the cage, not the substrate as the snake will burrow and push the substrate aside to get to the heat. I probably would put the guy on paper towels as substrate for a week so you can monitor his belly. As long as it doesn't look like its getting infected or splitting or anything funky like that, then you can put him back on his usual substrate.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Varela View Post
    If it's really a burn, you're going to find out in a few days. Your BP is going to shed; if the areas are red it's a burned. For treatment you could use Neosporin and Betadine. Until you visit your vet. You can't use them for long-term medication. The Neosporin will start loosening the scales. The Betadine is great but the only problem with it is that not only it kills Bad bacteria, it also kills good bacteria as well. That's what my vet told me.

Medicine
    They are going to give you silver Sulfadiazene cream for the burn and if the injuries are infected they will also give you Ceftazidime injections.

You will have to soak your BP in warm water for 10 - 15 minutes; dry the It up and apply the Sliver Sulfadiazene cream daily.
    The Ceftazidime injections are once every three days.

For the tub you will have to go basic. Paper towels as substrate, a water bowl, and a hid.

Will they be red after the shed or before the shed? Because the burn spots look brown right now before shed, I posted some pics above.
    For neosporin I use the one without painkiller right?

thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Doesn't look too bad personally. The way you got the probe set now will work but you can also tape the probe directly to the back of the heat pad also making sure not to tape the end of the probe. Then you want to use either a thermometer or better yet a temp gun and dial in the temp while taking the reading directly off the bottom of the cage, not the substrate as the snake will burrow and push the substrate aside to get to the heat. I probably would put the guy on paper towels as substrate for a week so you can monitor his belly. As long as it doesn't look like its getting infected or splitting or anything funky like that, then you can put him back on his usual substrate.
    okay, I'll call tomorrow to make an appointment then. This hospital is really busy, last time I called to make an appointment they gave me one in two weeks lol. But as long as you guys don't think it's emergency that should be fine.

What brand temp gun do you recommend? I used one before but it kept giving me different readings even when I pointed it at the same spot each time. So I never trusted it...

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    Looks good now.
    That doesn't really look like a burn to me. There is certainly some sort of discoloration, but I'm not sure what. The betadine soaks can be kept up, and in the meantime hopefully someone else can weigh in on what this could be.

I'm not sure what else it could be? Besides the misplaced probe and overheating heatpad nothing else has changed in his enclosure. I should probably add his set up in the original post.
    He lives on newspaper normally.

Only other thing is I've been dealing with a flea problem these past few days. I don't think fleas can infest snakes though??
    Last edited by blubudgie; 04-04-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks

After the shed and yeah the one without painkiller.

Thanks
    Okay for some reason it won't let me edit my original post.

My snake lives in a plastic bin cage with a heatpad set at 90 on the hot side. I have a lamp on during the day to keep the ambient temp around 80-85 on the hot side. This drops to 70s at night with no lamp.
    Two hides on either side and water dish in the middle.
    Substrate is newspaper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blubudgie View Post
    Okay for some reason it won't let me edit my original post.

My snake lives in a plastic bin cage with a heatpad set at 90 on the hot side. I have a lamp on during the day to keep the ambient temp around 80-85 on the hot side. This drops to 70s at night with no lamp.
    Two hides on either side and water dish in the middle.
    Substrate is newspaper.
    How is your BP doing ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast