Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,052

1 members and 2,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama

Thread: Bad Shed Maybe?

Thanks

Bad Shed Maybe?

So my BP Mojo Jojo shed about 3 weeks ago and his head has yet to finish shed. I thought he would rub it off on a hide or somethin but he hasn't yet. Not quite sure how old he seeing as I bought from Petsmart and they weren't sure.

Thanks
    What are your humidity levels? You may want to try adding some damp sphagnum moss into one of his hides, or putting him in a damp pillowcase and let him slither around in the pillowcase. That ought to help him get that last bit of stuck shed off. I like the zoomed terrarium moss and always have some in my tank and that helps with the humidity a lot.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyndymei For This Useful Post:

ANikeAddict (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Cyndimei has the correct information.

What are your humidity levels now? And what were they during shed? your aiming for around 70 percent during shed, and 50 - 60 at other times.

Also what do you have in your setup for your snake to 'rub against' to work off a shed? Typically they will start their snout and head shed, by rubbing their nose or face against something in the enclosure. Water dish, a rock, it's hide ect. Make sure your providing something for her to assist with her head, to get the shed 'started'. It appears the rest of her shed went well, was it all in one peice outside that bit on her head? if that's the case, I'd be inclined to think she didn't have sufficient areas in her enclosure to get 'started' on her head correctly

Whats done is done however so from here, you can either let her sit in shallow luke warm water, or a damp pillowcase works great too.
    "Be who are you, and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

ANikeAddict (08-01-2014)

Thanks

Re: Bad Shed Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Navaro View Post
    Cyndimei has the correct information.

What are your humidity levels now? And what were they during shed? your aiming for around 70 percent during shed, and 50 - 60 at other times.

Also what do you have in your setup for your snake to 'rub against' to work off a shed? Typically they will start their snout and head shed, by rubbing their nose or face against something in the enclosure. Water dish, a rock, it's hide ect. Make sure your providing something for her to assist with her head, to get the shed 'started'. It appears the rest of her shed went well, was it all in one peice outside that bit on her head? if that's the case, I'd be inclined to think she didn't have sufficient areas in her enclosure to get 'started' on her head correctly

Whats done is done however so from here, you can either let her sit in shallow luke warm water, or a damp pillowcase works great too.
    Yea my humidity levels stay around 50-60 so that's probably what happened but there's a lot of stuff he could used to rub against but I'll try the pillowcase.

Thanks
    Just give him a mist 1-2 times a day when you know they going into shed, Even with paper substate itll give them good to perfect sheds

Thanks

Re: Bad Shed Maybe?

I mist morning and night to bump up the humidity to 70+% humidity for an impending shed. Pretty much results in a one piece shed.

What are you using to measure the humidity?
    0.1 Desert Yellowbelly BP | 0.1 Yellowbelly BP
    0.1 Pastel BP | 1.0 Super Pastel BP
    0.1 Champagne Het Hypo BP | 0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 Lesser BP | 0.1 Pinstripe BP
    1.0 Caramel Albino BP
    1.0 Butter BP | 1.0 Pied BP
    1.0 Cinna Bee BP | 1.0 Albino BP,
    2.1 normal BP's
    2.1 Western Hognose Het albino | 1.0 Western Hognose Albino Het Axanthic
    1.0 Anaconda phase Western Hognose
    1.0 BCI Boa |0.1 Hypo Het Snow Boa
    0.1 Hypo Boa | ​0.1 Hogg Island Boa