Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,840

1 members and 1,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Ball tried to strike at chihuahua?

I was holding my BP when it struck at nothing then realized that my poor nutty chihuahua had wondered close by. I am going to put her in a diff room from now on. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this? Weve only had him a little over a week now. He is 2 years and close to 4 ft. Still learning, caught me by surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Ball pythons have pretty poor eyesight. It knows your scent well enough, it knows food well enough. Unknown, stinky bogey approaches and gets a defensive strike - nothing more. Sure your snake could probably get used to your dog and your dog could probably get used to the snake but mixing them is always a bad idea in my book. I don't understand the benefit for such silly risks as either could harm the other fiercely.
    Last edited by John1982; 08-01-2014 at 03:29 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (08-01-2014)

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have my cats around my bps and they get along very well but the snakes have been around the cats sence they were baby's so their use to them being there. I wouldn't try anything from the rodent family tho cause they are a food source. I keep my snakes clear of my bunny.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,878 Times in 1,503 Posts

Re: Ball tried to strike at chihuahua?

Personally I think mixing reptiles with mammals that could in anyway possible be mistaken for prey, is a recipe for disaster. Rember in the wild constrictors will not hesitate to take down an animal much larger than we would think possible for them to swallow, i.e. antelope, caimen, capybara, etc. There are opportunistic feeders. Just because it's a ball python doesn't mean it couldn't attempt to tackle a cat, dachshund, or a chihuahua. It won't matter if it can't eat it, when it's dead it's dead. You may get away with it a thousand times but the one time you don't, it will be catastrophic for one or the other, or both. Not to mention the guilt you'll be left with. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 08-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    The ball python was probably uncomfortable to start, and struck at the chihuahua as a warm thing moving by when it was already nervous.

Maybe keep handling sessions a little shorter, and ensure the snake is not out in a room with the chihuahua in it. It is unlikely that the snake will cause much harm to the chihuahua, but the chihuahua can seriously harm the snake.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LLLReptile For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. It was in no way my intention to have them in the same room but more so ignorance that I didn't think my ball python would try to harm the dog. Since his first feeding he has been overall jerky and seems kind of nervous?