Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,297

3 members and 1,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,218
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Pmcclanahan1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Thanks

Question Is this normal?

So my wife and I purchased a ball python from petsmart along with its 30 gallon tank that came with the lamps, carpet and thermostat and humidity gauge. We have a large log hide, rock, branch for climbing and water bowl. We put shavings in there and let him settle for a few days (3) and tried to feed it. First time nothing, the last time it did strike and ball up.. let let it go. We have tried pinkies and fuzzies. Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks
    You should let it settle for a full week. The strike you got is just defensive.

Find a tight fiting CLOSE hide that will touch him on all sides when he's in it and put on on the hot side, one on the cool side. Don't drag him out. Don't peek. Don't prod. Don't handle at all. Leave him completely alone for a full week (from NOW), and when you do offer food make sure you're offering food the same width as the WIDEST part of your snake and that it's warmed up to 102 or so degrees (should feel warm to the touch).
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

harding83 (07-29-2014)

Thanks

Re: Is this normal?

Ok thanks a ton, we will be doing that.

Thanks

We need a lil more information to help you .... How old is your ball python? A picture of the snake and the cage set up would be a great help...... Typically after getting a new snake and changing to a new home you want to wait for about 7 days before handling it or feeding it . Just let it completely be for that week. Even tho you got the same cage it had been in previously you have to look at ALL the changes it is going to endure. Did you add any new items to the enclosure? It needs this 7 days time to become accustom to the new smell of your house , noises it is not used to, even vibrations from ppl walking throughout the house can sometimes come into play especially with baby ball pythons. It they are nervous or scared they will not eat. It is possible the strike it took at the feeder your talking about was simply a fear/defensive strike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    You should let it settle for a full week. The strike you got is just defensive.

Find a tight fiting CLOSE hide that will touch him on all sides when he's in it and put on on the hot side, one on the cool side. Don't drag him out. Don't peek. Don't prod. Don't handle at all. Leave him completely alone for a full week (from NOW), and when you do offer food make sure you're offering food the same width as the WIDEST part of your snake and that it's warmed up to 102 or so degrees (should feel warm to the touch).
    Nice advise
    Evidently you type faster than I .... In my defense I am using my phone right now LOL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Sauer For This Useful Post:

CptJack (07-29-2014)

Thanks

This is what we have so far. I'm aware we need to add some plants. As far as age.. We got it from petsmart so they didn't know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T_Sauer View Post
    Nice advise
    Evidently you type faster than I .... In my defense I am using my phone right now LOL
    There is a picture for you.

Thanks
    Yeah, get that guy some tight fitting hides (plastic bowls with an entrance cut out and sanded work well). For now, cover the backside of that log so no one can see in the back (I just tape construction paper on the outside of the tank), and maybe stuff it with paper towel or moss to make it fit. Identical hides as soon as you can is important too, so he doesn't have to choose between security and thermoregulating.

The other thing you can do is, until you get plants, just loosely crumple some newspaper and fill in the space so he's not so exposed.

Check your temps (and get a digital temp gun or thermometer if you can, those dial things are trash) and a thermostat on the heatpad if you're using one. Once you've got him at 80 cool side, 90 warm, and he's secure you should be gold.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

NH93 (07-29-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    Yeah, get that guy some tight fitting hides (plastic bowls with an entrance cut out and sanded work well). For now, cover the backside of that log so no one can see in the back (I just tape construction paper on the outside of the tank), and maybe stuff it with paper towel or moss to make it fit. Identical hides as soon as you can is important too, so he doesn't have to choose between security and thermoregulating.

The other thing you can do is, until you get plants, just loosely crumple some newspaper and fill in the space so he's not so exposed.

Check your temps (and get a digital temp gun or thermometer if you can, those dial things are trash) and a thermostat on the heatpad if you're using one. Once you've got him at 80 cool side, 90 warm, and he's secure you should be gold.
    Will do. Thanks again

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harding83 For This Useful Post:

CptJack (07-29-2014)

Thanks

Yes a lil bit of plants or something to clutter the cage up a lil more would help your ball feel a lil more secure. I suggest getting a digital thermometer and hygrometer. You can get one that is a combo that reads both , it comes with a probe you bury the wire under the aspen shavings and put the probe under the hot spot . This will give you the exact temp on ground level of the warm side of the enclosure. You also need to have a slightly cooler side for the snake to go to if it's feeling the need to cool down. I couldn't see the lighting in the pic but only one heat lamp is usually necessary, and put it on one end of the cage. The problem with the thermometer hygrometer that came with it is that a lot of them are not very accurate and after time the can wear out and give false readings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast