Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,968

0 members and 1,968 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How long to wait before force feeding?

We just got baby ball python and the store we got it from gave us his feeding chart. The store had him 2 weeks and noted he didn't eat any of the times he was offered a pinkie. I got some pinkies and have tried to feed him twice and both times he has not eaten. I've read some forums on here where force feeding was recommended, but I'm not sure at what point that is recommended. My first thought is to switch him from the 55 gallon tank we got him to a smaller tank as I've read larger tanks can stress out baby BP's. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    How long have you had him? First stop offering food and let him settle in. At least a week with no handling, no feeding. Then try offering food but only once a week. Balls, even babies can go a LONG time with out eating. He needs to settle first. Continually offering food is stressful. A smaller tank could help or you could try making the 55 very cluttered.

Thanks
    Whats his weight.... and a 55galon is defiantly too big(if he isnt eating), try buying a 6qt lidded tub and use that till he gets bigger. Do not force feed especially being your first snake this causes more harm then benefits when it isnt needed to be done.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CORBIN911 For This Useful Post:

jaded (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: How long to wait before force feeding?

Pinkies are too small!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-03-2014),jaded (07-30-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A 55 gallon is too big. Move him down to a 10 gallon with hide. Whenever receiving a new snake it is wise to leave it alone for 1-2 weeks before feeding. That means no handeling also. Assist feed should always be done before force. All depends on his overall look. If he is healthy looking and doesnt look skinny then could probably wait a little while before offering food. I would go a week inbetween feeding also. A lot of ball pythons are more enticed to take a live rodent over a dead one so i suggest finding a live rat and offering that first. If he still aint eating and looks skinny and unhealthy then assist feed him. Take a F/T pinky rat and rub the nose of it on the snakes mouth to open it. Take a pair of tongs and grab the rat by the head and slowly and carefully move the rat into the snakes throat. Then place snake back into enclosure. The trick here is that the rat gets stuck down in his throat to a point the ball python finally realizes he cant spit it up then starts taking it down on his own. Good luck!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have an hatchling on your hands then you need to provide proper husbandry.

Force feeding is not something recommended lightly and should only be done when all other options have been exhausted.

Assuming you have an hatchling you need to do the following.

Get a 6 quarts plastic tub (15 quarts at the very most)

Use aspen as bedding

Provide 1 or two PLASTIC flower pot saucer

Provide a hot side of 88 degrees.

Leave your BP alone for a week, NO HANDLING

Offer a live appropriately sized mouse (equal you BP's girth size)

55 gallons will not work with an hatchling even if cluttered a smaller tank will likely not be a better option either.

While adults can go off feed for a long time an hatchling should be VORACIOUS and should be eating.

Also pinkies if pinkie mice are also not appropriated for a BP.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-03-2014),satomi325 (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HVani View Post
    How long have you had him? First stop offering food and let him settle in. At least a week with no handling, no feeding. Then try offering food but only once a week. Balls, even babies can go a LONG time with out eating. He needs to settle first. Continually offering food is stressful. A smaller tank could help or you could try making the 55 very cluttered.
    I got him last Thursday...it's now Monday. So no handling for 1 week then offer food again?

Thanks

Not sure of his weight, but he's approximately 14" long. He doesn't look skinny, but this is my first BP and I'm not 100% sure if he should be thicker or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    If you have an hatchling on your hands then you need to provide proper husbandry.

Force feeding is not something recommended lightly and should only be done when all other options have been exhausted.

Assuming you have an hatchling you need to do the following.

Get a 6 quarts plastic tub (15 quarts at the very most)

Use aspen as bedding

Provide 1 or two PLASTIC flower pot saucer

Provide a hot side of 88 degrees.

Leave your BP alone for a week, NO HANDLING

Offer a live appropriately sized mouse (equal you BP's girth size)

55 gallons will not work with an hatchling even if cluttered a smaller tank will likely not be a better option either.

While adults can go off feed for a long time an hatchling should be VORACIOUS and should be eating.

Also pinkies if pinkie mice are also not appropriated for a BP.
    What are the PLASTIC flower pot saucers for?

Confused by your statement: 55 gallons will not work with an hatchling even if cluttered a smaller tank will likely not be a better option either. 55 gallon will not work but a smaller on is not a better option???

If pinkies are not appropriate, what would you suggest? I've read a few articles that suggest crickets. He's about 14" long and thinner than a garden hose.

Thanks

the pots would be used as hides. I'm assuming

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast