Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,995

2 members and 1,993 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do all new BPs need privacy?

I know everybody says leave them alone for a week when they first arrive so they get settled and not stress. I have had 10 BPs and i can kind of tell which snakes a "need" to be left alone and which dont. Do any of you handle your BPs right away?

Thanks
    As soon as I got my girl home she was in my hands immediately. I take her out everyday, sometimes including feeding day, and at least 24 hours afterwards. No problems at all so I can only assume she's okay with it!

She's also very okay with handling during shed, but I opt out of handling her as much to avoid stress.
    Last edited by Venoshock; 07-21-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    0.1 Spider Ball Python, Carl
    0.1 Blue Crown Conure, Nala

Thanks
    How long have you had her? Is that the only one you have? I did the handling right away with 3 of my BPs.

Thanks
    I've had her for over a month or so. And yep, she's my only snake for now.
    0.1 Spider Ball Python, Carl
    0.1 Blue Crown Conure, Nala

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I don't really handle any of my snakes right away. I receive them, set them up in their enclosure, then leave them alone for a week.
    It's just personal preference. I certainly know others who don't do this. But I do it to give my snakes the best chance to eat the next week. Plus, I generally don't want to stress out my animals unnecessarily. I have a few really sensitive ball pythons.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    You can usually tell pretty quickly which ones arrive stressed, and which one are ok with the transition to their new home. I've had some eat within hours of arriving (they were obviously "hunting" and it was feeding day anyway for my others, so they got offered a rat), while others took a few weeks to acclimate.

Thanks
    As i get more experience (and more snakes) im able to read the snakes alot better. Hope to learn as much as i can as the years pass. There is definitely no substitute for experience

Thanks

Re: Do all new BPs need privacy?

It's hard, but I pretty much never handle my new snakes for at least a week after getting them, sometimes longer. I typically wait at least 2 consecutive feedings before handling. While some can be okay on a fast-track to handling, as I've worked with more and more and more snakes, I've come to accept that sometimes I'm wrong in how I'm gauging a snake and how well it's settling in. Rather than push it and potentially cause the snake more stress in the long run, I'll wait the two weeks (or longer) no matter what. Doesn't hurt the ones that settled in fast any, and helps make sure that if I mis-read a snake, I won't mess it up by handling too soon.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks
    Great thread I was wondering the same thing. I picked up a Spider het ghost Sunday at Repticon and with the exception of taking him out last night to get a starting weight on him I haven't really handled him yet. He's been in his hide ever since Sunday night though he did come out last night at some point to leave me a little treat.

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Re: Do all new BPs need privacy?

I think it's purely dependent on the snake and how you have it housed. Some snakes settle in faster than others and will eat for you right off the bat without any fuss and some take a while longer to get comfortable and settle in and take a meal from you it just depends. It also depends on how your housing it if the snake doesn't feel secure in it new home it will prolong the settling process and how quickly he will for you. But even if husbandry is spot on it still just depends on the animal. They are all different I've had some that took a meal with me the next day and others that took weeks to take a meal and settle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast