Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,023

2 members and 2,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Is this a normal thing for a BPl to do?

I just fed my snake for the first time yesterday. It was a F/T adult mouse.

When I fed her, I used tongs to kinda dangle and shake the mouse in front of her. She happily took it.

Im worried because part of the mouse touched her substrate and now it seems like she smells something. Anytime she gets near that area that the mouse was on, she coils up into the 'S' shape and looks like shes getting ready to strike. Could she still be in feeding mode? Or should I up her food?

She also just stares at me. Like, I mean, she's focused on me. o.o She hasn't tried to bite or even strike yet though. I was just wondering if this was normal. I actually have her cage up on my desk next to my computer. Should I move it?

Thanks for any advice! :]

Thanks
    That's perfectly normal. They will often hang in 'feeding" or 'hunting' mode for some time after being fed. Give them a little time and they will relax, or retreat to a hide to digest.
    "Be who are you, and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss.

Thanks
    Something that I do when I feed mine is put a piece of paper towel down so that 1- the rodent won't get any substrate stuck to it and ingested by the snake and 2- so that there won't be much, if any rodent scent left behind on the substrate. It's worked well for me.
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python - Tom
    0.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boa - Jen
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Drake

Thanks
    Should note too, if theres any blood on the substrate, or your concerned about a scent, you can always remove that part, depending on what your using. or replace the paper towels / newspaper.
    "Be who are you, and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I use eco carpet in my tank. She eventually retreated to her cold side hide after she realized she wasnt getting food. :p Ill have to try some paper towels next time I feed her.

Thanks
    One more question, how do I tell her she is ready to take bigger mice/rats? Shes 2 years old, 35 inches long and 3-4 inches at thickest. I dont have a scale to weigh her though.

Thanks
    Definitely get a scale. Generally aim for 10 - 15% body mass, as a meal.

For now you really should be able to eyeball it. Compare her prey to the thickest part of her body (generally mid-section). And use that as a reference.

If all you have currently are quite a bit smaller, you can always offer her two. Just make sure the first is down before you offer the second

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Is this a normal thing for a BPl to do?

she should easily be able to take a large rat crawler or possibly a small rat