Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,072

2 members and 2,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Exclamation First Ball Python, Need some advice.

So, I got a female ball python the other day. This is the first time I've owned a Ball. I've had corn snakes and spotted pythons though.

Anyways, I bought her off something college student that was moving and unable to keep her. I know, I should have just went to a breeder. He told me that she was almost two years old, and was used to be handled. When I went to go pick her up, she was in a FISH TANK, with NO heating source and only one small hide for her. The tank was sitting out in the open with a giant dog jumping around the table.

So, I took her home and tried to set everything up as best I could with what he gave me. First off, the bulb in the heat lamp and the heating pad were broken. This was a problem because I had nothing else I could use at the moment. So I scrambled around and got to the pet store and bought an ENTIRE setup for her in one go. A nice $300 dollars on top of what I already paid for her. I rushed home and finally got her cage set up and everything going. Temps on the hotside- 85-90*F, coldside- 77-85*F. Ambient air is staying around 84*F. Humidity is staying in the upper 50's to mid 60's.

Now, on to the point of this, lol. She has been showing signs of a URI. Wheezing, snorting sounds, somewhat elevated head and constant mouth opening like she's yawning. No mucus though. Which leads me to believe that she was not taken care of by her former owner(broken heating pad, lamp). She also acts like there is something caught in her mouth. Not to mention, she hisses EVERYTIME I even attempt to touch her, which means that I can't properly do a a mouth check for bubbles. So, this freaked me out even more and I went out and bought a Vick's WarmSteam Humidifier to help break up any mucus she may have in her lungs. I ran it in my room next to her cage for a couple hours, shut it off, and finally headed to bed.

When I woke up, she had shed. A beautiful, long glorious shed. And she pooped twice. Does this mean that it could have just been the shed making me think she had a URI? She did have a dried out patchy area on her nose and around her mouth. Would also explain the aggressive behavior?

Her shed skin was 35 inches long. And she's about 3 inches thick at her widest spot. Does this sound like the right size for her age, or is she underfed?

I know I need to take her to the vet. Unfortunately, I kind of spent all my money getting stuff for her and I dont get paid for a couple weeks. I have F10 SC coming in the mail. I was going to treat her with just a small amount of this if her symptoms do get worse until I can get her to the vet. Good idea, or no?

Sorry for the long post, Im just a worried new Momma and I really do want to give her a good life. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: First Ball Python, Need some advice.

I personally think that the wheezing and the aggressive behavior was just a part of the shedding process. My girls are moody when they shed too. On the other hand, my boys could care less.

Observe her and see if she continues with the wheezing and the yawning. I'd also recommend letting her adjust a week to her new home without you handling her. After a big move she might be insecure in her new environment and needs time to adjust.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Re: First Ball Python, Need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kenda77 View Post
    Does this sound like the right size for her age, or is she underfed?
    Do you know her weight. That would probably be a better indicator of if she's been underfed or not.

I know I need to take her to the vet. Unfortunately, I kind of spent all my money getting stuff for her and I dont get paid for a couple weeks.
    The few times I've dealt with RI there have been bubbles and mucous. I'm not a vet though and based on the conditions you found her it's definitely a good idea to get her a clean bill of health when you can afford it.

Would also explain the aggressive behavior?
    Definitely. She's getting used to you and the new environment and being in shed where she feels particularly vulnerable. High stress times for her. Give her some time to settle in and get some food in her and I'm sure she'll be much more relaxed.

Good luck with her. It sounds like shes in an infinitely better situation now that you have her.
    Thomas Steele
    2.0 Normal (Columbus, Magellan)
    1.1 Het Ultramel (Francis and Claire)
    1.1 Pastel Lesser (Lucy and Ricky)
    0.1 Pewter Bee (Ariana)
    0.1 Fire (Ember)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Savannah)
    1.1 Pastel Pied (Sandy and Danny)
    1.0 Super Stripe pos. Mocha (Romeo)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies! :]

Im going to keep a watchful eye on how she does. I really hope it was just a mixture of moving and shedding that what causing her to act that way. Its going to suck, but I only have a few more days till I can actually hold her and get a better look.

I dont have a gram scale to weigh her with yet, but when I did pick her up and put her in her tank, she honestly didn't feel as heavy as a snake her size should.

Only time will tell though. :] Im now off to eat if she'll eat for me.

Thanks
    Don't worry too much about her Weight. I recently rescued a female Ball Python, who was a little over a year old, and weighed 140grams. She really should have been in the 400 - 600 gram range. But since having her, she's been a voracious eater, and has tripled in weight.

So long as she is alert, tongue flickering, she's good.... for now.

In regards to the fears of RI. I've dealt with it quite a bit in different species (Rescues), And in my experience it's pretty easy to spot. Typically excess mucus from an RI is easily spotted from the outside of the snout, and mouth and even around the eyes. It isn't always self contained within the mouth itself. Quite often they will also display labored breath, which is different from breathing heavy due to stress ect. I've seen is so bad, that the tines of the forked tongue have been stuck together!

From what you've told us so far, I'd be inclined to think what you saw was related to the shed. (shed skin can block the airway via the nostrils and cause a wheeze or sometimes a whistle)

If she's pooping, eating, and shedding well, you really have little to worry about. She sounds like she's lucky to have you.

All the best, and goodluck!