Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,484

1 members and 1,483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Parent won't let me buy a Female Snake!

Okay, I have a Ball Python, age about 4 years old, and I want him to breed with another Ball Python. Problem is, my mother won't let me buy a female. I know my mother's past experience with snakes, she used to breed them a lot, when she was my age. She had over 25 snakes. Only some of the babies were unlucky ones. I had gotten mine from a reptile show. I managed to convince her, because I wanted the responsibility to take care of a pet. After about 4 years, I decided that I wanted to take care of some baby snakes. I asked my mother if we could buy a female, and she said no. I would just like some help on either convincing her, or something else. Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    did you ask her why?
    breeding snakes is quite expensive, so it's the first reason i can think of. another reason is it can take a lot of your time, time which you should be spending on schoolwork. maybe you can bargain with your mom. snake breeding expenses to be deducted from your allowance or you'll work for snake money, or promise you'll excell in school, or all of the above to make the proposition irresistable. to show you are sincere, you can make a headstart even before your mom let's you get the snake.

I would just like some help on either convincing her, or something else.
    i'm concerned about the "or something else" part. the grown up thing to do is settle the manner reasonably. going behind your mom's back is never a good idea, no matter how right you think you are.
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Thanks
    Money isn't an issue, I take my school work very seriously, so that isn't an issue. It is currently my Summer break, and I am definitely trying hard to get great grades (A's, B's, or C's). I do many chores around the house, but my parent isn't paying me, but she said she would. I'm trying to get the chore money from her. And please don't be concerned about what I said. I would never go behind her back or anything like that.

Thanks

Re: My Parent won't let me buy a Female Snake!

You can try to ask her when do you think it's a good time for you to get another snake and tell her again you really want a second snake. Hopefully she gives in and give you a short time frame.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Well to start with, its her house and her rules and from the sounds of it her money too.
    You want to breed there are several steps you need to take first.
    Get an education
    Get a job
    Get your own place

Its not hard to figure out.
    Show a little respect for the woman that raised you and forget about the "something else" too.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Cyndymei (07-17-2014),Gio (07-17-2014),HVani (07-17-2014),KMG (07-17-2014),Marrissa (07-17-2014),MisterKyte (07-17-2014),Navaro (07-17-2014),Shann (07-17-2014)

Thanks
    The above poster pretty much nailed it.

While you live under her roof, you follow her rules (sound familiar?).

if she's done it herself before, she obviously understands the ins and outs of the business, so nothing anyone can say here will be a "game changer" for her.

and lastly if she has experience with it herself, she obviously has a good reason in a saying no, and not an uneducated one.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

YOU live under HER roof therefore you should respect her descision.

Her roof her rules!

If you are passionate now you still will be the day you will be on your on own.

Consider yourself lucky when I was growing up there was a "NO SNAKE" rule in my house, many years later I was still as passionate and since I have made up for it BIG time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

coldblooded (07-17-2014),Cyndymei (07-17-2014),Gio (07-17-2014),PitOnTheProwl (07-17-2014),Shann (07-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,721 Times in 3,035 Posts

I'd go a step further and ask yourself what your particular breeding would do to benefit the world of ball pythons.

There are more than enough professional breeders and plenty of passionate hobby breeders to keep the world of ball pythons full, maybe even overly full.

Seeing as your mother has already "been there done that" she may actually have a clue, and some good reasons as to why you should pass.

I'm always baffled at just how many people buy a snake, read basic care sheet information and suddenly decide breeding is the way to go. (No knock on serious and informed breeders)

How about doing some in depth study on the biology of the animal and enjoying what is truly fascinating about snakes?

Not just 1 snake 2 snakes,,, breeder.

Look into some fun, interesting caging, or another species if 1 royal doesn't float your boat.

I'm not sure of your age but your whole life will change once, twice, 10 times once you are finished with school and hit the real world.

Maybe being happy with what you have is the way to go.
    Last edited by Gio; 07-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

MisterKyte (07-17-2014),Shann (07-17-2014),Tarzan152 (07-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    YOU live under HER roof therefore you should respect her descision.

Her roof her rules!

If you are passionate now you still will be the day you will be on your on own.

Consider yourself lucky when I was growing up there was a "NO SNAKE" rule in my house, many years later I was still as passionate and since have made up for that rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Deborah. I was the same. No Snakes. My mother had a mortal fear of them. I swear it's why I grew up obsessed and so passionately inlove with reptiles and particularly snakes as an adult.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    It sounds like your mom understands what many parents don't when they allow their kid to get a snake which is they live forever compared to most pets. She probably also knows that when you leave to go to college you may not be able to take your snake so the last thing she wants is to inherit your collection.

At 14 I would not allow a child of mine to breed snakes either. Honestly I'm not sure I would ever allow breeding while they were living at home. At some point you are going to leave the nest and when you do providing for a large collection of snakes will be on you and no longer supported by mom and dad. In my experience I was doing well to eat P B & J the first few years on my own, and keeping a collection of snakes was out of the question. I think you should just be glad you have one and though it does not seem like it your mom is doing you a big favor right now.

Also maybe I'm wrong but you say she said no female and no breeding so it sounds like getting another male is possible. Your mom seems very nice to me.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-17-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast