Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,126

1 members and 1,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,217
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ToddHarkey
    Thanks

Coccidia In Bal Pythonl

I took my BP's poop sample into the vet today. The doctor told me that the results came back with a bacteria infection called Coccidia. He gave me .3CC of Albon to give orally for three days in a row per week for three weeks. Does anyone know more information about this infection? the severity and if the medication is helpful?

Thanks
    In regards to Coccidia, think internal snake mites. It can be incredibly hard to get rid of. And has varying degrees of severity.

I have experience with Albon. It's effective but normally takes quite a lengthy course to work. It will also effect the appetite of your ball python, so be patient. Personally I'd have suggested Baycox. It's a sulfone compound and very fast acting. So the doses are normally small, and quick to clear things up.

In regards to Albon, dehydration can also be a problem. So make sure your humidity is consistent and that your snake is drinking. Don't expect him to eat at all while on the medication, and even for some period of time after it's complete.

Just out of curiosity do you also own or keep bearded dragons? I only ask because all bearded dragons naturally have low levels of Coccidia in their system, particularly as juveniles. Which is why when you own both species you have to be incredibly stringent, as the bacteria can be passed via touch (from fecal matter ect), had you been cleaning out once cage, and went to another ect.

All the best, and keep me updated! If you have any further questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

maggieehunt (07-29-2014)