Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,021

1 members and 2,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Hey guys need some help

Just "rescued" an adult python about 3 yrs old over 1000 grams the guy said and told me he feeds her 3 or 4 live mice and never has fed f/t and my question is how can I get her on f/t rats??

Thanks

Re: Hey guys need some help

With patience....

That being said, let the snake chill for a bit. When I switched mine from live to frozen I didn't offer food for a month to increase the response I would get. I made sure the temps and humidity were on point and I waited. When I was ready to offer f/t for the first time I let it thaw in the snake's room to get the aroma of dead rat wafting. I then put the rat in warm water to bring it to around body temp. I waited till my timer turns the lights off and I offered it.

It didn't eat it. I was highly dejected and maybe took it personally. It took another two attempts, each two weeks apart to get it to eat. So don't get discouraged. Keep it up, and eventually instincts will win out and the snake will eat what you offer. You may have to tweak your approach too. Some people expose the brains of the rat to entice the snake further. Some people refreeze the rat and defrost again to make it even more snake-tasty.

so yes you should be able to, but with patience.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    I would make the switch to rats and then try to convert to f/t. Since the snake is used to getting multiple prey items offer 1 mouse and then a weanling or small rat, whichever size is appropriate to round out the meal. You may need to scent the rat with mouse smell for the first few times.

Once the snake is solidly eating rats try converting to f/t.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

nachash (07-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys she is do for a feed now the guy said. should i wait a few weeks and offer a f/t rat or just feed her the live mice for now?? I've never bought live for any of my other snakes and I don't really wanna but I don't wanna starve her. What should I do?
    Last edited by Nickb540ni; 07-16-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I have had really good luck switching a few of mine. My ball, brb, and gtp were bought with the previous owner saying they would never take f/t. My ball and gtp took to them immediately. It was as if they had always eaten them. The brb took alittle more time.

I thaw in water with all the feeders in a bag. When switching from mice to rats thawing them in the same bag really crosses the scents and I have yet to have an issue going from mice to rats.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

oskyle1567 (07-16-2014)

Thanks
    I honestly have never heard of Thawing and refreezing rats to make more appealing, Snakes would rather live things then a dead smelling carcass.

Like bcr said Switch to rats, Go buy some Live rat weanlings, Once that switch is done then go to frozen.... Feeding 4-5 Frozen mice to a live only snake would be like sticking my hand in a meat grinder! I cant see it being fun!

Make switch to Rats, That way only 1 feeding!

IF you only have 1 snake and plan on keeping it that way You could do ASFs, A large ASF is enough to keep a male healthy on a 5-feeding day scheduled. And most snakes will take them, Its like there Candy!!!!

Iv been tempted to make a few colony's of ASFs as they stink less. Dont usually eat babies like rats, are colony style animals, and all 3-4 females will help take care, Aswell as have huge litters 10-17(biggest)!!!
    Last edited by CORBIN911; 07-16-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    Oops I see where I put he it's actually a she lol and not to sound like an idiot what's an ASF? she is going crazy roaming her tub and pushing it hard! I didn't know she would be that strong hopefully she will take a f/t small rat and come down I hope... I guess all I can do is try...