Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,767

2 members and 1,765 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Heating for ball pythons!! What to use?

I'm going to be getting my very first ball python, which is going to be my first ever snake as well, pretty soon. I already have everything I need but I'm really lost of what to use for heating. I know that ball pythons don't need a heat lamp and just need a uth for belly heat. There's heat pads and heat cable and tape and all that jazz and I know you need a thermometer to keep the heat of those things at the proper temprature but I have not the slightest clue as to what I should use. I'm going to be housing my snake in a 41qt tub since it's an adult female. I also live in Canada and it can get pretty cold here so I don't know wether to get like a 4w or stronger heat source. I haven't been able to find any info on this to clarify the whole heat thing and to help me out so, I'm really just confused and lost on this stuff.
    I could really use some information on what is best to use in my case

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Re: Heating for ball pythons!! What to use?

Just to clear up a few things, Ball Pythons need their enclosures to have ambient temps of 78-82. UTHs doesn't provide ambient heat, just belly heat. So you might have to use a heat lamp or a radient heat pannel (RHP) if your house gets cold.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-15-2014)

Thanks
    I have a heat lamp on my terrariums going all day to keep a nice ambient temp for them (and a nice hot side), and a uth (under tank heating pad) at night on the warm side of the tank for any belly heat they may require during the night. My house gets quite cold during the nights, so I may invest in another lamp for each terrarium to be on during they night as well, just a lower wattage than the day time one.

My snakes seem happy and regularly switch from their cool side to their warm side, which is a good sign that they are able to regulate their temps.

Thanks

Re: Heating for ball pythons!! What to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    I have a heat lamp on my terrariums going all day to keep a nice ambient temp for them (and a nice hot side), and a uth (under tank heating pad) at night on the warm side of the tank for any belly heat they may require during the night. My house gets quite cold during the nights, so I may invest in another lamp for each terrarium to be on during they night as well, just a lower wattage than the day time one.

My snakes seem happy and regularly switch from their cool side to their warm side, which is a good sign that they are able to regulate their temps.
    So you only have the heat lamp on during the day and only the uth at night?
    What would be a good wattage for the lamp to get?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    It is not that simple. What is your homes highest temp and lowest temp throughout the day and night? If you don't know start tracking it and figure it out.

You need a thermostat for the uth not a thermometer. I recommend Herpstat tstats. I have 4 and love them. To go with the tstat an IR temp gun is a great device to get the temps dialed in.

As for what you will need, it depends. I have a 40 gallon tank in a room that stays a constant 68. I use a uth, 100watt che, and a 60watt bulb 24/7 to keep things correct.

I also have some PVC cages and a rack in another room. I ended up having to heat the room with a oil filled heater because the rhp's could not bring the ambient temp up to what was needed is them. They are 4ft x 2ft x 15in. Everybody is going to have to tweak things to make the husbandry correct for their own situation. There is not a cookie cutter answer that will fit every situation. I had to try several different things when dialing my cages in before they were ideal.

A tub sitting out in a room is going to have an ambient temp near the room temperature so you may need to heat it or change cage types. A heat lamp on a lamp stand can work very well to add extra heat to a tub. You need the stand because the tub will melt with direct contact from the lamp.

Before I could help any more I need to know your rooms temps and the swing it has throughout the day.
    Last edited by KMG; 07-16-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull