Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,012

3 members and 2,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Exotic Animal Insurance.

Hey everyone,

I was just browsing the web, looking at reptile stuff, and found a thread regarding hots and having to have them insured in the UK. I don't own hots, and more than likely never will, I was just wondering if you have your Ball Pythons insured? It is relatively cheap and may be worth it. I'm not sure it is viable if your BP will live for 20 or so years though...

What do you think?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    Typically insurance for "hots" isn't for the animal's vet care, it's a liability policy to cover the owner in case the venomous snake injures or kills someone.

I wouldn't bother with vet/medical insurance on my snakes as the annual premium looks to be less than one vet visit.

Thanks
    I think it's wise to insure your most valuable animals, especially if you frequently take them to shows or if you have a habit of showing off your snake room. I've heard of 7 different theft incidents over the past year, people just aren't trustworthy anymore. If you're investing in a hobby, it's wise to protect your investment.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Exotic Animal Insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Typically insurance for "hots" isn't for the animal's vet care, it's a liability policy to cover the owner in case the venomous snake injures or kills someone.
    Yeah, I thought that was the case. Cover every eventuality I guess. I am yet to take any animal to the vets, I don't know how much one costs. Is it advised to take your snakes for check ups once a year or so, or will this just cause unwarranted stress?
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George1994 View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was the case. Cover every eventuality I guess. I am yet to take any animal to the vets, I don't know how much one costs. Is it advised to take your snakes for check ups once a year or so, or will this just cause unwarranted stress?
    You shouldn't need to take your snakes in for yearly checkups; there isn't much that the vet will be able to tell you that you can't detect for yourself.

You should, however, have a vet you can consult if you notice things like pronounced weight loss, weird lumps, things like that. You should be checking your snakes regularly, and might want to set it up so that once a month or every few months, you take a weight, run your hands over the entire body, closely look in/around the eyes, under the chin, check the cloaca etc. If you find anything weird, to the vet you go!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good discussion on the ame subject here http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ce-for-my-BP-s

Your cost would be 134.28 a year and if your animal is healthy (less face it health issues with BP are not something that occur often) you would lose that money each year.

BP actually have a life expectancy of 40 years so do the mathm that 5371.2 that you will never see again.

You have an animal and want to think about the what if and that is great, all you have to do is save a little each month and dedicate that money to any issues that may arise to your pet, and if nothing happens then you still have that money.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Just put 10$ a week away, or even 5$ for a snake fund! (youll save much more money) And in the end can most likely use fora nice project snake vs a vetbill!!!