Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,067

1 members and 2,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Mikecampbell2796's Avatar
    Thanks

Soaking in water?Please help

Ok so i am new to the whole snake world,I bought my first ball two days ago.He seems to be in good health just a little nervous still,but also is curious.He has found his hide and does stay in there most of the day but mabey a couple times a day he will get inside his waterfall and soak for a few hours.I have read that he might have mites?Have got him out to take a look and don't see anything out of the ordinary.Should i be worried?

Thanks

Re: Soaking in water?Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecampbell2796 View Post
    Ok so i am new to the whole snake world,I bought my first ball two days ago.He seems to be in good health just a little nervous still,but also is curious.He has found his hide and does stay in there most of the day but mabey a couple times a day he will get inside his waterfall and soak for a few hours.I have read that he might have mites?Have got him out to take a look and don't see anything out of the ordinary.Should i be worried?

Raise overall humidty aswell as maybe he likes the water!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CORBIN911 For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-12-2014)

Thanks
    Best place to find mites is in the water itself. Check there, and or in the filter ( guessing as you said waterfall)

what are your temps set to, and are you using a thermostat. Snakes will sometimes sit in their water to cool down if your temps are too high.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-12-2014),Mikecampbell2796 (07-13-2014),pbyeerts (07-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,721 Times in 3,035 Posts
    Regardless of what people say,,, soaking is NOT a good thing. Usually adjustments in temp and humidity are a factor. There is also the possibility of mites.

Anybody can argue this, but on the boa constrictor front, Gus Rentfro, who is next to God when it comes to boas states that prolonged soaking is a sign that something is off. It can also lead to problems due to too much moisture when a snake constantly stays in a water dish. He does not give his boas giant water dishes to soak in.

In relation to royals, the "open savannas" where these animals typically rage, are not swampy, or puddled with standing water.

In my own experience, I have never had any of my 3 snakes. royal, boa constrictor or carpet python do anything but drink from their water bowl.

Before anybody get's all defensive here, note that I say prolonged use. We all have snakes with quirks and little things that make them individual.

Even still, keep a close eye on any snake other than a water dwelling species that is constantly in water.
    Last edited by Gio; 07-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Mikecampbell2796 (07-13-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone who has replied to my thread am already attached to the little guy,just wanna make shure everything is ok with him.I have been keeping his humidity in the 50% to 60% range which is kinda hard with a glass tank.He has a cave hid on the warming side with the temp usually staying about 90 degrees,and his waterfall and a water dish on the cool side at about 75 to 80 degrees.Will keep any eye out in the water for those mites,but could it be he just thinks that is another hide and if so should i just take the water out of it and use it for a hide?

Thanks
    Oh and am not using a thermostat yet but plan on getting one this week.Where can i find the best deal on a good one?

Thanks

Amazon. Hydrofarm 25$
    Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lilnash0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe your ball is in a process of shedding cuz sometimes they soak whole body in a water bowl before they shed.
    just check your ball consistantly..and double check hot spot temeprature with temperature gun for exact measurement.
    Infinite Challenge Ball-pythons 2019.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dek593 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,919 Times in 4,803 Posts

Oh and am not using a thermostat yet but plan on getting one this week.Where can i find the best deal on a good one?
    If you have an under-tank heater (UTH) you need to unplug it; if it runs unregulated it will get hot enough to burn your snake.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What are you using as a heat source?
    What are you using to measure the heat?
    What are you controlling the temp with if you don't have a thermostat yet?

If you are using a uth your heat souce is defiantly gonna be hotter then 90 and also too hot for the snake. So much so it could lead to burns if you don't put it on a thermostat or rheostat of some sort.

A very common mistake by beginners is using the wrong type of thermometer to measure temps which is why I ask what you are using.

Keep an eye out for mites but if he is soaking off and on for a couple hours at a time like you make it sound instead of just a pretty much constant thing I would think it is something other then mites. I would remove the water fall like you asked about and just put in a regular water ball. He could be trying to use it as a hide like you think if it seems to him like it could be one. Just make sure you replace it with a water bowl big enough for him to soak so if it is mites he would keep soaking and you can still notice it. The dish is the best place to look like mentioned before.

Even one mite is a problem. But if you have only a few mites you wouldn't even notice until their numbers grew. If you have a big mite problem you would see signs in your snake but generally won't see the motes themselves in your tank(or in your snake) unless they are dead in the water. If you can easily see them crawling around the tank or on your snake that means you have a crazy big mite problem.

Take out you substrate if you are using any and replace it with paper towel. Then if your snake soaks it would be easier to find mites in the dish because there wouldn't be bits of substrate in the water to mistake them with. Try to use a while water bowl if possible to make it easier to see mites in it if you actually have any.

You can try to do other suggestions people have said as well in case it isn't mites but you should keep checking for mites until you are certain there are none.
    Always be Batman

16. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast