Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,066

1 members and 2,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to handle a ball python (beginner)

Hey I'm new to owning ball pythons I've only had mine about a month, and unlike most people who get ball pythons talk about getting hatchlings, I got a roughly 4 foot female. She's been eating regularly every 10-14 days n hasn't bit me yet but I'm nervous getting her out of her tank, I think its fair to be a bit nervous due to size n the fact its my first snake, I'm fine when she's out, for godsake i walk around my house wit her around my neck every time I have her out I just have a hard time mentally sticking my hand in a tank with a snake so large so any tips or anythin is useful thanks

Thanks
    Get a snake hook. Use it to either pick her up or rub her with it. The later is called hook training. It teaches them that there won't be any food coming when the hook shows up. After a while of using the hook, you should acclimate to being able to just reach in and grab her.

Should you decide to pick her up by hand, do it with confidence and away from the head. You should not have any problems.

Thanks

Re: How to handle a ball python (beginner)

No offense, but grow some balls! people who own dogs or cats are not afraid to grab them or interact with them and you need to be that way with your pet. Personally i feel if your gonna own snakes expect to get bit even though its not likely with ball pythons. Other then that i suggest watching the videos on youtube of the 9 year old that handles snakes and gets bit without even flinching. Maybe that will help desensitize yourself to it.

Thanks
    I have nine snakes and have had snake about a year and half (which really isn't that long), but I've been bit all of twice. The first time was my mistake for trying to grab a piece of bark that was stuck in Allure's mouth after he downed the first rat. My hand smelled like rat and was warm so he thought it was. My bad for not thinking and reaching in with my fingers and not tongs. You should of seen it. I didn't think a snake could look so ashamed. He was pretty upset over it and immediately turned away from me and hid at the back of his enclosure. It took a lot of effort to get him to eat the second rat after that. My second bite is from my feisty lemon blast. She's been a nippy princess since I got her. Honestly both times I got bit it was like "Wait did I just get bit?" You barely feel it. It's two tiny pin pricks that heal in minutes lol.

Just reach in and confidently grab her. I'm sure that you won't get bit, but even if you do, it's seriously nothing. The worry over it way worse than the actual bite.
    Alluring Constrictors

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Gary P (07-13-2014),kat612 (07-13-2014)

Thanks
    Pretty much that, Grow a pair (dont take offensive)... TBH picking up a live feeder red will damage your skin more then a BP.... heres steps:

1) Open tank
    2) Lift hide of snake
    3) Quickly scoop up from mid section
    4) Let snake do his things in your hand dont try to force his body around
    5) Success

Thanks
    Go to your local butcher or deli. Purchase some quality sausage links.

now head home.

First take out your sausage links. Give them a name, and begin practice handling. Feigning bite scenarios with the last sausage in the link may help conquer your fear.

after several weeks of practice, or when your sausage snake starts to attract critters and funk up the room, you are now ready to begin handling. Remember she's just like your sausage friend. Have no fear.

*cough*

joking aside.

handle her with confidence. She doesn't want to bite you, she wants to feel comfortable. If she's comfortable, she's happy, and if she's happy, your happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    No offense, but grow some balls!
    Wait... You can do that? I've been approaching this hobby all wrong!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Wait... You can do that? I've been approaching this hobby all wrong!
    Absolutely! Only you... Can hinder your inner ball growth...for females, this is not necessary as they are not as big of a pansy as we males!

Thanks
    I'm going to expand on what these guys are saying a little, so maybe it makes more sense.

When you approach a snake nervously, are prepared to jerk back or do - Well, think about how we entice our snakes to eat, you know?

I managed to make a dumb feeding error (tongs? Who needs tongs) and got hit pretty good on the thumb by the 600 gram guy. It bled, but honestly? I've had more painful hangnails. Not saying he hit my hard, but it's really, really not bad. Their teeth are pretty tiny.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    How about some real advice instead of "grow a set of ba**s" I bet most of you who say this were scared shi*tless at one time or another.....Anyway here is how I do it with my adult male..if he is under his hide I lift if off, and first touch him before I ever attempt to pick him up, that way he knows there is no food coming, then just pick him up somewhere close to the middle. I have absolutely no fear that he will bite me, but if he does then he does. Also make sure you wash your hands thoroughly if you have been handling rats or mice before handling your snake. Other than that enjoy your snake, soon you will do it without even thinking about it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggBaddWolf For This Useful Post:

pbyeerts (07-14-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast