Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,232

0 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,217
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ToddHarkey

Thread: Grading a snake

Thanks

Grading a snake

I hear and see a lot of reference to grading snakes and cannot seem to find much information on how to do it. As an example, when I picked up my two ball pythons in January, I picked two morphs I liked, not because it was a certain morph - because I liked the look.

It was at a Reptile show and two people commented that I should select another over the one I did pick (both suggested different snakes from one another). One told me I should select a certain snake because it had more blushing and little head pattern and was the clearly better example of a bumblebee. The other suggested the one with a busy head pattern and solid blacks because it had strong genetics.

Im very happy with with the one I picked which was somewhere in between the two that were recommended. After four sheds, I am really liking the transformation. I've noticed the blushing has increased, the yellows are a little more vibrant (the browns are more pronounced too) and he has developed a light gray dorsal coloring.

Our Caramel Albino was sold as a low grade example but, once again, we love the look of her.

I just seem completely clueless when I hear people talking about all these traits they should have and wondering how You grade a snake. As I look at future purchases at higher price levels, I'll continue to go with what I like but, knowing the difference between a lesser and a better example will help me justify the higher price (I'll be looking at Kingpin morphs with a third gene).

Thanks

Re: Grading a snake

Here's some quick pics of our bumblebee and caramel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Every morph has traits that are ideal for it.
    There are good and bad but it is mostly in the eye of the beholder.