Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,978

1 members and 1,977 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Friendly snake???

At first I thought it was him cruising for food and it might be as my last experiment left him in his hide for about 1.5 days before cruising again. He was doing it tonight and I am still working on handling with him but when I opened his tank (lives in the snake condo) he came straight out into my hands. He eventually got afraid and pulled back into his home. This doesn't seem unusual to me given the way he normally acts. He is very curious and I kind of think of him as my second cat. I love this guy, he's a normal 100% het ghost and he has a light marking on his head that I swear looks like a perfect snow flake. I'm sure this has been talked about before but I am just curious about him literally coming into my hands.

Thanks
    Some snakes are less fearful than others. One of my two cruises, investigates and moves around a lot. He'll come right to, or into my hands when I open the tank. If I take him out, he periscopes up and into my face. Don't read too much into it, don't anthropomorphize, realize your snake is a snake and there are some limitations that come with that - and take him as he comes (and enjoy him).
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

Cyndymei (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    I think pictures of this lovely guy are in order. I don't know if they're friendly per say, even though I like to call them friendly, but mine does the same thing at night time. Very curious and interested in his surroundings, but still a little bit shy. He has never hissed or gone into striking mode either.

Seems you got lucky with both a beautiful snake with a good disposition!
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks
    I will post some pics this weekend. I would take some to post now but I need to fix the artificial lighting in his home right now. I'll try to get a pic of the snowflake too. I realize it sounded as if I was personifying his personality (pun intended) but I accept he's a curious cruiser. I still consider myself lucky as he is awesome AND was my first snake. His name is Walter Solcheck, named after the bad a$$ character John Goodman played in The Big Labowski. Sounds like you have an interesting one as well.

Thanks
    I am possibly going to upset some people saying this, but.

I think in a lot of ways there are personality differences that result from bp being kept as pets versus breeders. I don't think breeder snakes are in any way less well cared for or necessarily lacking in anything, but when they're one of a few snakes, or the only snake, I think the amount of handling they get tends to... God, I don't know what I want to say here. Encourage them toward being more interactive with their owners and their environments. I don't think that's better or worse, and I think it can go too far and into stress mode for some (obviously not you), but I think for a lot of snakes they learn not to be afraid and as a result are a bit more confident, bold, and willing to interact.

And again: I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS BETTER or there is a *thing* wrong with the way breeders keep snakes. I'm not even saying it's better for the snakes. I'm just saying it's a thing.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-12-2014),Navaro (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Re: Friendly snake???

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    I am possibly going to upset some people saying this, but.

I think in a lot of ways there are personality differences that result from bp being kept as pets versus breeders. I don't think breeder snakes are in any way less well cared for or necessarily lacking in anything, but when they're one of a few snakes, or the only snake, I think the amount of handling they get tends to... God, I don't know what I want to say here. Encourage them toward being more interactive with their owners and their environments. I don't think that's better or worse, and I think it can go too far and into stress mode for some (obviously not you), but I think for a lot of snakes they learn not to be afraid and as a result are a bit more confident, bold, and willing to interact.

And again: I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS BETTER or there is a *thing* wrong with the way breeders keep snakes. I'm not even saying it's better for the snakes. I'm just saying it's a thing.

You really don't need to apologize for your opinion! It's not an uncommon one, and you are always welcome to share your opinions.
    In general, more handling = less fear. It's not really a secret so you make perfect sense in what you've said. When someone has more animals and more work and more responsibility, they have less time to spend with their animals individually, and I'm sure this helps shapes their personality. As you've said, not a better/worse situation, because some snakes get very stressed out from regular handling.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Here are some pics. I found Walter in this strange position tonight and decided it was time to post some pics. You can also see his snow flake head stamp in the other pic though it is faint. This guy is crazy. He's very active for a ball python, I'm almost worried about him...

Thanks
    Hes looking good
    Lizards
    1.0 Ornate Uromastyx "Reptar"

Thanks

Re: Friendly snake???

My normal does this....he cruises his viv and then lays on the glass trying to slide it open....so I open it and he will come straight out....he crawls round my hands and goes round my neck etc....then off to explore the flat....I have snaked proofed anywhere that looks like he may get into....he often stays out for a couple of hours and has a great workout.....then is happy to go back in....he does this 3 to 4 times a week