Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,042

1 members and 2,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No hot spot?

Thanks

No hot spot?

First of all, let me be clear: I'm talking short term, here.

I'm pondering getting a snake - a very specific snake, rather than just one in general (hence the lack of preparation). If I add this snake, I'm going to need another thermostat for quarantine. This is something I should probably do, with or without another new snake, but regardless I don't have one right now. *IF* I get this snake, depending on shipping speed it could be here a few days to a week before the t-stat arrives. I can keep ambient temps in that room at a steady 85 (or anywhere else). If I don't feed the snake until the T-stat comes to regulate the UTH, is this something I can do or is it an absolute no?
    Last edited by CptJack; 07-11-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks

Re: No hot spot?

I would say yes. In the wild, snakes experience low temperatures all the time. I don't think there will be any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I watched a video with some big name breeders to include Kevin from nerd and one of them housed all of his ball pythons without belly heat and just used ambients. I could have been mistaken but I could swear that was the case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I watched a video with some big name breeders to include Kevin from nerd and one of them housed all of his ball pythons without belly heat and just used ambients. I could have been mistaken but I could swear that was the case.
    I have seen breeders do this too. It makes sense. Ball Pythons don't really have "hot spots" in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Hot spots are a community based practice. There are many who dont run belly heat. I currently dont have belly heat on either of my boas. Simply because I am prepping to build a rack and buying 2 unneeded stats is not a priority ... they eat fine and shed fine. With just lamp heat for now.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Thanks
    Thanks, guys. I thought I would probably be okay, but I like getting conformation from other minds when going outside the box and established norms. My experience just isn't there yet.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    If you can get your ambient to 85 or so, you actually dont *need* a hotspot or UTH.

I'm sure there's plenty of forum *warriors* that would disagree.

Make sure you take pictures of the new one!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,921 Times in 4,804 Posts
    You could also just go ahead and buy two thermostats, one for the snake in QT, and the other because it's always great to have a spare in case one fails or you end up with an unexpected critter.

Thanks

Or you can pick up a lamp dimmer from Lowes or home depot turn the dimmer till you get the desired temp of the hot spot and leave it alone. It will only cost you around $10 and would work temporarily until tstat arrives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptJack View Post
    First of all, let me be clear: I'm talking short term, here.

I'm pondering getting a snake - a very specific snake, rather than just one in general (hence the lack of preparation). If I add this snake, I'm going to need another thermostat for quarantine. This is something I should probably do, with or without another new snake, but regardless I don't have one right now. *IF* I get this snake, depending on shipping speed it could be here a few days to a week before the t-stat arrives. I can keep ambient temps in that room at a steady 85 (or anywhere else). If I don't feed the snake until the T-stat comes to regulate the UTH, is this something I can do or is it an absolute no?

You can feed them with that ambient temps! But if frozen make sure they are 100% dethawed... Just keep room between 85-86. And no hotspot will be need'd as other said alot of people do it! Belly heat is just a easier/more cost efficient way of creating a hot spot for them vs heating a entire room!

You also if its only temp, pick up a rheostat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast