Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,068

1 members and 2,067 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Holding for the first time. Tips?

I've had my baby BP for 11 days now ate 2 days ago haven't held at all since I got him and wanna give it a go. Kinda nervous any tips for a newbie? Also how long should I hold him/her? Thanks!!

Thanks
    First try to relax, pythons can detect nervousness. With mine first I will reach in and touch them, that way they know food isn't coming, they will probably wiggle a bit, and may go into a ball, but it is ok, then just pick them up. Before long you will be a professional snake handler. I would say go for ten minute handling sessions, and as long as he doesn't refuse food you should be ok. However if he refuses food he may be stressed, and you may want to stop the handling sessions until he returns to eating...Good luck with your new BP
    Last edited by BiggBaddWolf; 07-09-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    Pretty much what big bad said. Great advice.

only thing that I would add is stay away from the head, most don't like their head approached. Approach from the back, once you've let your snake know your there.

Also be sure to support her body properly, even if she/he is just a baby, and don't hold it too tightly, just let em do their thing. They might feel like they grip pretty tight, or wrap their little tail around you. This is generally for comfort, not an offensive measure. Just relax.

Thanks
    Before all of this I personally would wait till at LEAST 1 or 2 more meals, before handling. Just to make sure they wont fast or go off food! My Lavender spider did this back when i got her, she ate her first meal, i left alone for a few days then handled her. Then went off food for 3 weeks! Since giving 2-3 meals before handling havnt had problem since.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CORBIN911 For This Useful Post:

Navaro (07-10-2014)