Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,182

0 members and 1,182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,218
Threads: 248,626
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Pmcclanahan1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is Febreze safe?

I just cleaned out the viv, and used a couple of sprays of febreze on the bottom of it, before covering with a normal amount of substrate. I put the snake in and she is moving all around the tank and i'm a bit worried that it is still smelling in there? Should I remove the snake and air it out for a couple of hours instead?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Is Febreze safe?

Quote Originally Posted by j4mbo View Post
    I just cleaned out the viv, and used a couple of sprays of febreze on the bottom of it, before covering with a normal amount of substrate. I put the snake in and she is moving all around the tank and i'm a bit worried that it is still smelling in there? Should I remove the snake and air it out for a couple of hours instead?

Thanks!
    I was just wondering that same thing when I cleaned my tanks yesterday. I used Windex, and hope that wont hurt. But then I thought if your not suppose to use cedar substrate cuz it could cause respiratory problems, then was worried whether or not Febreze could too. So, just didn't use it. Would be good to know though.
    1.0.0 Anery Red Tail Boa (P3PP13)

Thanks
    I'm somewhat curious as to why you'd put Febreeze in the snake's enclosure? Ball pythons are clean animals and their enclosures shouldn't really smell. I don't think it's toxic, but it's probably not pleasant for the snake.

Thanks

I left the thawed rat in the viv overnight because she didn't eat yesterday and just wanted to wait and find out. The smell when I opened it today to check was UNREAL-awful. I cleaned out the whole thing with a steam cleaner and the smell was still there and still pretty awful. Wasn't sure what to do, and now i'm really regretting it!

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't use windex on the inside of a tank. Outside, and sparingly is 'ok', but really you have to be careful.

In regards to Febreze. I can't speak about Ball Pythons specifically, but I know from my days of working in rescues, any reptile that is sensitive to RI's, you generally want to steer clear of this sort of thing. There really isn't a need for it. And it does carry some risks. Not so much due to toxicity (there are many false claims)

I always used to clean with warm water, a dash of white vinegar, or bleach. And let the tanks or tubs dry out and air out thoroughly before using them again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j4mbo View Post
    I left the thawed rat in the viv overnight because she didn't eat yesterday and just wanted to wait and find out. The smell when I opened it today to check was UNREAL-awful. I cleaned out the whole thing with a steam cleaner and the smell was still there and still pretty awful. Wasn't sure what to do, and now i'm really regretting it!
    A 10% bleach solution and then a VERY thorough rinse. Or the vinegar solution mentioned above. Or any number of non-toxic disinfectants. I'd rinse them all out afterwards, though, so as not to leave any smell which could stress the snake or lead to an RI.

Thanks

Would you recommend that I do the whole thing again or do you think it should be ok just one time?

Thanks
    Honestly. I'd do it again. I don't think I'd be comfortable with the bedding absorbing the febreze.

You also need to think about how humidity in the air works. Whilst you aren't spraying it into the air, or onto the animal. It will be held in the air, and breathed in, as your substrate puts moisture into the air.

Personally, I'd play it safe.

And yes rinse really well. I should have added that to my above post, but thats more or less what I was saying when I said let it dry and air out after its been cleaned and rinsed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-08-2014),Cyndymei (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    Another case of "if I like it, my ball python will too"

Thanks
    I would personally never use it inside of my enclosure. I even get nervous spraying my room after a bad mess that has been sitting there all day while I was at work
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast