Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,663

3 members and 1,660 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

May be a stupid question...

But going ask anyways... whats the longest you should go inbetween changing substrate. I mean that as in cleaning the tank changing. I haven't changed my ball python and red tail boas in around 2.5-3 months. When they defecate and urinate, I scoop out a big chunk of it. Then replace what I take out. But, when would be a good time to change the entire thing? Theyre not getting any skin infections, or anything like that. Just asking to be asking. Read that every 6 months is good. But, wana know for sure...
    1.0.0 Anery Red Tail Boa (P3PP13)

Thanks
    Personally for all the reptiles and amphibians I've worked with (in rescue's at work) and at home (BP). I was always pretty rigorous about spot cleaning, and did a full clean (replace substrate) every 30 days / once a month.

Gives you a good chance to check up on everything, and rework anything that needs to be done at the same time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

George1994 (07-08-2014),JohnNGriffin (07-06-2014)

Thanks

Re: May be a stupid question...

Quote Originally Posted by Navaro View Post
    Personally for all the reptiles and amphibians I've worked with (in rescue's at work) and at home (BP). I was always pretty rigorous about spot cleaning, and did a full clean (replace substrate) every 30 days / once a month.

Gives you a good chance to check up on everything, and rework anything that needs to be done at the same time.
    Totally agree with this, also depends on your substrate it may need 2X a month, or more.
    What are you using?

Thanks
    I have pretty good luck with spot cleaning and wiping with Chlorhex. I think we end up replacing full substrate every 3 mo or so.

Thanks
    I'm with the other folks here. I spot clean when I notice, but I dump it all, clean/disinfect the tub/tank and put in fresh bedding about once a month. The LIQUID part of things tends to sink to the bottom and spread out, and sometimes they do things like crawl through the poop or bury it as they crawl around.

That said, I've got colubrid's too and they NEED things cleaned up a LOT more frequently than the BP.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks

I usually do a spot clean the day after feeding,because my snakes usually go within 24 hours of eating, then average l do a full cleaning about once a month.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNGriffin View Post
    But going ask anyways... whats the longest you should go inbetween changing substrate. I mean that as in cleaning the tank changing. I haven't changed my ball python and red tail boas in around 2.5-3 months. When they defecate and urinate, I scoop out a big chunk of it. Then replace what I take out. But, when would be a good time to change the entire thing? Theyre not getting any skin infections, or anything like that. Just asking to be asking. Read that every 6 months is good. But, wana know for sure...
    I think that is often enough. That's what I do and my BP is perfectly healthy! Of course doing it more often wouldn't hurt, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BPavery For This Useful Post:

JohnNGriffin (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    I clean about every two weeks and always after a shed because my snake makes a mess! However, I use paper towels and they are harder to spot clean. Some times I can't stand watching my bp slither all over his urine and feces. So that is why I clean about every two weeks. When I clean during those times though, I don't bleach, I just replace the paper towels.

When he sheds I usually bleach everything (hide, water bowl, log). He sheds once a month. So that is when I really clean the tank.

Thanks

Once a month for deep cleaning
    Desired Morph - Thailand

http://www.facebook.com/desiredmorph

THCB quality ball python available seasonally

Thanks
    I honestly dont fully Replace but, i do spot clean when needed and every 1-2 months depending on snake and what it has done (Urates easy to clean.. Wet pee more substrate absorbed)

But what I do is throw out any defecated area, and surroundings

Then every 1-2 months I take out all my substrate(coco husk) And dump it all in boiling water. and let sit for 1-2 mins, I then take out and squeeze/let it dry.

Once dried i place back in cage. (Just to get any of the urine i may have missed, or any pesky bacteria from FT rats. or w.e there may be)

Been doing this for the last 6 or so months and has worked amazing (I do keep a can full of it, to replace while other substrate is soaking/drying and just recycle it)

Since it is so bacteria and mold resistant I do not feel the need to just toss it out, If it can be cleaned like that, And my snakes have been happy!

Having 28 snakes, and the 70series tubs do require about 1/3 to 1/2 a brick of coco husk. Every month would become quit costly if i did that way. So i just attempted this one to see, and its worked fine!
    Last edited by CORBIN911; 07-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast