Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,280

1 members and 1,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,217
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ToddHarkey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New Ball Python Owner. Checking in.

Hey Guys / Gals. Just wanted to check in. New Ball Python owner here.

I'm originally from Australia. I've just moved to Southern Florida in the past year, and have always had a great interest in reptiles. Most of my previous experience and knowledge was with Amphibians. I used to work in Australia for the Armadale rescue. Specifically with Whites, but varying tree frog species.

I've always been obsessed and inlove with snakes. particularly the Ball Python, since I was 15 years old and toured Africa. I'm 32 now, however residing in Australia I've never been able to own one. Until now. This has been a dream come true. As not only do I deeply love and respect the animal, I find them stunning. and I'm literally mesmerized by them. No crazy morphs needed.

Point in case. Upon settling into Florida from Australia. I've put in the research, time, set up the enclosure and finally, the last stage. Picked up my female baby ball python. I had originally planned on going through a breeder. However as fate would have it. Someone was getting 'rid' of a yearling ball python, that they could no longer care for.

After visiting their property in florida, and seeing the setup they were using. They had no idea what they were doing. I feel for a yearling, from my research she is a little underfed, and undersized. They said she has been in their possession (im guessing from hatchling) for over a year, however they are still feeding her a fuzzie per week)

But I look forward to doing for her what I can. Been giving her a fuzzie twice weekly, which she's taken happily, however I'm getting ready to try and switch her to rat pups. Any advice or comments on this would be really appreciated.

She's been in my possession now for a little under 4 weeks. I ended up buying her all new tanks and setup. And I feel my husbandry is spot on. 90% hotside. UTH heater inplace regulated by a quality Thermostat. 78% coolside. Ambient temps of around 82 - 83. Humidity in the morning is 55, afternoon to night is 57. Dropping to 55 by morning. I'm obsessive with numbers and regulating environments. So I feel confident I can give her the the best of what she needs.

I realise tanks aren't the best option. However I really do love the display. I've solved the humidity issue related with glass 'tanks' by covering 3/4 of the screen top with aluminum foil. With areas cutout to allow for light / heat flow from the day, and night lights as you can see on top. As well as allowing sufficient ventilation. Bedding is Aspen. Two hides are available. The tree stump you see on the left is hollowed out. Which she loves to move to when she's seeking heat. On the cool side (the right) there's a conventional hide, behind the log, which she also makes use of.

She seems to be settling in well. She's taken food 3 weeks running, with no hesitation. I'm feeding her in her tank, as I don't buy into the alternative (out of tank) feeding BS. Shes incredibly docile, and sweet natured. I've fallen in love already. This has really been a dream come true.

Eitherway enjoy the attached pictures. Pick apart anything im doing wrong, and I'm excited to be apart of this community, this forum, for my past few months of research has truely been invaluable. I'm just so proud to be an owner of such a gorgeous majestic animal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this <3 I appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark (Navaro)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Navaro For This Useful Post:

BrandyL1193 (07-06-2014)

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Owner. Checking in.

Nice setup, as long as the numbers are right your fine.
    You could go for a pvc cage at some point, but for now,
    don't fix it if it ain't broke! lol!

Thanks
    Cheers mate. I appreciate the reply. I've seen those pvc cages, they are excellent. As no doubtly my collection grows, I will definately look into that. The pre made bought ones looks excellent.

I also need to look into reputable Florida breeders for future purchases. I dont like the idea of mailing an animal. No matter how 'well' its done.

Thanks

There are quite a few breeders in fla. I would also check out the shows,
    got some good ones there, no shipping required.
    Welcome and have fun.

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Welcome! Nice set up!
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

Thanks
    That is a nice setup, I bet it's a pain to clean though.lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to led-zep For This Useful Post:

CORBIN911 (07-07-2014)

Thanks
    Cheers for the replies, I appreciate it.

Cleaning wise its not too bad. As sadistic as it is, I actually kind of enjoy it. I've always worked around Vivariums and such. Planted and not its something I enjoy =P Any excuse to get in there and redo it once a month is enjoyable for me =P

Although people think I'm weird when we are watching TV, and instead of looking at the screen I'm just gazing into the tank hours on end lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,887 Times in 4,789 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Navaro View Post
    Been giving her a fuzzie twice weekly, which she's taken happily, however I'm getting ready to try and switch her to rat pups. Any advice or comments on this would be really appreciated.
    Very nice setup you have there! As for switching feeders, I would just offer the rat pup and see if she takes it. She's young enough and likely hungry enough that she may just grab it. If she doesn't, try offering the mouse first and then the rat since she's used to getting two prey items.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Very nice setup you have there! As for switching feeders, I would just offer the rat pup and see if she takes it. She's young enough and likely hungry enough that she may just grab it. If she doesn't, try offering the mouse first and then the rat since she's used to getting two prey items.

That was great advice. I appreciate it. She happily and quite agressively took the Rat pup today without hesitation. I'm so excited.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 9,887 Times in 4,789 Posts
    Cool. Next step - get a digital kitchen scale that will give weights in grams, and figure out how much your little girl weighs. You can give her a prey item that weighs 10-15% of her body weight every five days until she reaches 500 grams, then a small rat weekly afterward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast