Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,075

1 members and 2,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

How big should my tank be?

Hello, I've got a ball python that's about a year old and is 102 cm which is 1.2 M long. I'm planning on buying a good terrarium for it but I have no idea how big it should be.
    I've been wondering for the longest time on whether I should get a plastic tub or a glass aquarium for it. What do you think?
    I personally think that the glass tank looks alot better. But what about the heat and humidity?
    I've read that a 40 gallon tank is the best for it to grow in but what's the perfect width and length for it because I have no idea..

Thanks
    Get the plastic tub. Please, for the love of everything, just get the plastic tub. If you want a pretty display piece with a snake, stick with something like a pretty garter morph or locality or something else that can live in a 20 Gallon Long and be done with it. If you start moving up in size beyond that she sheer amount of weight you are dealing with is impossible. Even the smaller tanks, with smaller snakes, when nicely decorated become a nightmare to clean, but at least they won't break your back. Never mind humidity issues for BP, which are a real bear even in my southern, humid, state when you use a screen topped tank.

I know, I know, you're keeping your pet in a plastic box and it's not pretty, but it is so much easier and for a ball python SO much more appropriate for them (they don't LIKE open, exposed, spaces), so by the time you clutter it up enough it's not going to be attractive anyway. Add in tin foil or plastic wrap on top to handle the humidity loss and it's downright ugly, on top of being crazy hard to clean.

Just get the sweater box. Really. You don't even have to use a rack - use binder clips to keep the lid on and drill a bunch of holes in it. There is NO benefit to keeping a BP in a glass tank - not to the snake and not to you.

That said, you want a 41quart sweater box or the equivalent size tank. The dimensions of that are :
    34 7/8" L x 16 5/8" W x 6 1/8" H
    88.6cm L x 42.2cm W x 15.6cm H
    Last edited by CptJack; 07-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks

Re: How big should my tank be?

Thanks alot! I'll consider getting a plastic tub then

Thanks
    I started with a 20L tank. In order to get my new BP to feel secure enough eat and keep heat and humidity where they needed to be, I had to cover 3.5 sides with construction paper (taped on, of course), cover 3/4 of the top with plastic wrap and foil, and at that point any pretty factor was GONE. Add in the fact that preferred BP hides are not exactly those pretty half-logs or fancy decorative things but plastic and plain, and you just don't end up with a pretty display. By the time it's all said and done it just... doesn't work for that particular species of snake.

My CalKing baby is in a 10gallon now and it's fine because they MAKE cute little water bowls and decorations for small snakes, and 10 gallons of tank is a lot lighter than 20 and that's a lot lighter than 40. I will probably upgrade him temporarily into the 20L, but mostly... Man, just not worth it. All my resistance about keeping my PETS in a freaking sweater storage box went out the window by the time I was done doctoring the tank and then doing a couple of months worth of full bedding changes. So. Not. Worth. It.

(And forgive the babble. I was just thinking about this earlier today).
    Last edited by CptJack; 07-03-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    I have kept almost all my ball pythons in 20 gallon long tanks without issue. The only one that had a different size tank was an unusually large female I used to have, and I successfully kept her in a 40 breeder again without issue. Nor do I clutter up my tanks..Just hideboxes, water dish, and usually a rock for them to rub against when they shed, and of course the substrate.

Thanks

Re: How big should my tank be?

what kind of rocks have you used for it to shed?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    20 long work

Thanks
    I have a 40 gallon breeder zilla critter cage that has worked wonderfully for me so far. However, I only have a single snake that I am keeping as a pet. If I got more I would definitely get a rack. So far, my humidity has not dipped below 50% even without misting and with using dry eco earth; With the eco earth being slightly damp I can hit 60-70% humidity. I would say if you want a terrarium, make sure you have adequate hiding spaces that are appropriately sized and snug for your animal and ample security (I use plastic plants). To prevent him being spooked from traffic what I did was added a background to the tank and I plan on adding paper to the sides of the tank so that only the front is open. He's also in my room so the only traffic he sees is in the morning when I wake up and at night when I go to bed. So far, however, Kaa doesn't seem to care very much. He was exploring the tank the day I brought him home and ate a medium rat two days later and is begging for more today.

I will say if you are thinking of the glass tank and are getting a juvenile please do not get a 40 gallon glass tank, it will most likely be scared to death.

There is a wonderful set up guide for the glass tank that I followed which is here http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-With-Pictures!, and another one for the plastic tub http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...e-Basics-*DUW*

They both have fantastic pictures that explain everything beautifully.

If you have the money, a T8 animal plastics cage may also be another option and there is a guide for setting up one of those here http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-With-Pictures!

The most important thing, no matter which enclosure you choose, is make sure your husbandry is spot on before you get your animal. You can never be too prepared.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks
    Yeah juveniles may be spooked by movement outside the tank, but I think as they grow older they could care less. My adult male comes out of his hide on occasion, but pays very little attention to what is going on around him