Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,007

0 members and 2,007 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,762
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

keeping my ball python

Hello, im new to the forum and also a new BP owner. I've decided to join the forum because I'm concerned about its health and whether the environment I set up is suitable for it or not.
    When I first bought it, I kept it in my room with a glass tank, A small bowl of water, I tried getting a heating pad but it broke the glass and the wooden table under it (I didn't think it would get so hot), and a hiding place. My room gets really cold at night to I decided to move the aquarium outside of the house seeing as it's really humid outside and the temperature goes up to 40 degrees C and i think bps need the humidity especially now that it's starting to shed.
    I really do want to bring it inside again but I can't seem to find the right environment for it in here, I've moved it alot since we got it.
    Furthermore, I don't think there are ANY reptile shops or vets around here.. where I live. And if I were to get a heating pad, id have to order it online from amazon.
    So my question here is, how do I keep it inside while offering the right temperature and humidity for it without the heating pad (meanwhile atleast) until I get another heating pad?
    Last edited by Jackk; 07-03-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Thanks

Re: keeping my ball python

Order a good thermostat while your at it it will control make sure the heat pad willnt burn the snake ever other week we see burned snake from ppl not have a thermostat. Right now you could up him in the bathroom with a small heater that auto shut off if you have one or can get one.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    You need to get a thermostat to regulate the heat pad temperature. Make that a top priority. To offer the correct humidity you may want to try using eco earth coconut fiber for substrate or spray the tank down with a spray bottle full of water. I have a 40 gallon breeder that always hovers around 50% humidity with the eco earth, and it isn't soaking wet to prevent scale rot.

For now why not buy a heating lamp and partially cover the tank with foil to retain heat and humidity.

What are the temperatured inside like? I think 40C is way too hot. Have you checked out the guide to setting up a glass tank? If you go to the last page of that thread, TheSerpentMerchant has added lovely pictures on how to do it and it has worked beautifully for me.
    Last edited by Cyndymei; 07-03-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks

I had forgotten to add the link to the thread and it looks like I can't edit my post anymore.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201740

How big is the tank by the way? If you are really having trouble with temps and humidity you may want to go for the plastic tub route.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks
    40C is 15F to hot. its 104. You should be at 88-92+/- So that needs to drop quit a bit.

Your best bet is to get a overhead lamp, and a CHE or Red heat bulb and adjust it to height to offer his correct hot spot. Do not get a heat pad unless you get a thermostat with it. With Temp fluctuations a Rheostat will not work as it will go up/down with ambient heat drops/raises.

Thanks

I think you should bring him back inside, find the warmest room for him for now, Go to a Petsmart or Petco (if you have one)and buy a small Zoomed heat pad and a Zoomed reptile thermostat. Outside, his tank could turn into a greenhouse and your BP could die. It's better for him to be a little cold at night than it is for him to burn up outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk