Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,038

1 members and 2,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

AP Cage question re: Heat Tape and a QT question

I have my AP T8 divided down the middle . I currently only have my Normal rescue on one side , the other side is empty but I am shopping and taking my time picking a Morph I will enjoy and will only be buying from a reputable breeder which I will also research here For right now here is the set up :

Divider is in use , occupied side has 12 " of heat tape across the back floor and there is a 40 watt radiant heat panel in each side . The RHPs are on a Big Apple Thermostat . The heat tape on a Herpstat 1 .

In preparation to put someone in the other side I was going to put one long piece of heat tape across the bottom in the back and put it on the Herpstat 1 . Because I am in total nesting mode I went ahead and bought 48 " of 12 " heat tape . Now from another thread I was reading , that may be too wide and covering 1/2 ( back half) of the enclosure with hot spot-ness is not great?

I was thinking I have two choices - take the 12" x 24" strip I have now and run it down the middle so each has a 6"W x 24L " hot spot

OR

Trim the 12" x 48 " spot down to a shorter length so they each have a 12"W X something" L square in the center rear

If I decide to trim , A) can you trim it just like that ? B) the contacts and leads would then be under the cage because it would run lengthwise but would not reach the end of the enclosure to protrude out - that probably is not good right? I would have to elevate the cage a bit then so there is not pressure on the contact points?

What would you all do ?

Another question . I have had normal rescue snake for about 2 months . No mites , no breathing issues , calm when handled , beautiful bright pattern , bright eyes , 2 perfect sheds , eats once a week pre kill. Only refused when trying f/t . If snake 2 comes from a very reputable breeder who has no mites and no illness to report , how long to quarantine? I have a 24" Neodesha enclosure on hand with heat tape , heat lamp , and I would just have to suck it up and buy another Herpstat. Which I am willing to do if I have to , but since 2 will be my maximum collection I would like to avoid it if at all possible ( and safe ) .

In other words , if I get a known healthy snake from a reputable breeder , can I consider the over 2 months I have had this snake as "time served" for QT ? Or does the 3 to 6 month clock have to start ticking when the new arrival does even though it is from a good breeder?
    Last edited by zookeeper; 06-28-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks
    Bump!! Also , with the heat tape running and the temp probe in the slot that AP makes in the cage , how high do you have to set it to get the indoor hot spot temp where you want it? In other words , I am running the Herpstat 1 at 92 , and my reptile basics temp gun is only reading 86 on her hot spot? Maybe the temp gun is inaccurate ? I trust the Herpstat and am surprised that there is more than a 2 degree difference between the actual tape and the heat of the indoor floor.

Just to clarify - probe is in between heat tape and bottom of enclosure on the outside of enclosure ( of course) , herpstat 1 is set to 92 degrees , temp gun says indoor hot spot floor temp is only 86. Sounds not right , right?
    Last edited by zookeeper; 06-29-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Sounds right-ish to me. I have the Herpstat on my T8s set to 94 and 96 to reach a hot spot of 90.

As far as your other questions:
    1) The quarantine period should restart every time you add a new animal to quarantine - no matter where you get it from.
    2) If I were you, I'd put a 12x24 inch strip and use it down the middle of the divider. Either that or use rubber feet on the bottom corners of the T8 to prop it up a bit so you can run the heat tape cord under it without getting pinched. Then, I'd probably do the same 12x24, but turn it lengthwise and run it on the bottom near the back.
    3) Look up how to safely cut heat tape based on the brand of tape you have. Most often it's as simple as cutting at the clear portion and using electrical tape on the bare black ends after cutting.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

zookeeper (06-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks! That clears it up a bit. I was afraid the temp gun was not accurate and I would put the Herpstat at 96 and get a hot spot of 95. Is that reptile basics a good one? Or should I invest in a better IR temp gun? Sometimes a little extra money for peace of mind is worth it , even though I do not plan on breeding or growing my collection I want to 2 I will have to be comfortable and content

Thanks
    Reptile Basics stuff is typically pretty good. Not sure which one you have, but I'm sure it's fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

zookeeper (06-29-2014)

Thanks
    Sorry , it is a Zoo Med Reptitemp for 18 bucks. Maybe I will invest in the 49 buck Reptile Basics one. They have been great , I like dealing with them.

Thanks

Re: AP Cage question re: Heat Tape and a QT question

The PE-2 is a pretty commonly used one. Here it is on the Reptile Basics site: http://www.reptilebasics.com/pe-2%20oem. They've got it for $29.99.You might be able to find it elsewhere online as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

zookeeper (06-29-2014)