Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,994

2 members and 1,992 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,764
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Which would be best? New hatchling.

I have a new hatchling that I purchased from a breeder a week ago. I was still using heat lamps on my cages at that time. I have today switched to a thermostat and Flex-watt on my divided T8 with my adult BP and where my hatchling will be going. As of now the hatchling is still in another room in quarantine in a 10 gallon tank using a heat lamp. While her temps are good, I can not do anything to keep the humidity up. When I cover half the tank it makes the cold side temps spike way high. Even misting 5 times a day just cause huge gains and losses in humidity. My question is, since I only have the two snakes in my collection, is it worth it to go ahead and move her into the T8 where all the temps/humidity is perfect but not quarantine, or to keep her in quarantine in spite of the bad humidity? She seems healthy at the moment but one week is DEFINITELY not enough to tell and I know that, but if she is sick and it does spread to Loki it wouldn't be like it would with a huge collection. I am not going to get another snake until one of these two passes away and since my oldest Loki is not even two years old yet I have some time to go so purchasing a second Flex-watt and thermostat isn't in the picture.

What would be the 'worse of two evils' as it were?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Personally, I would just move her into the T8. It's a hatchling, from what I would assume to be a reputable breeder. It's not a wild caught, imported baby, or Craigslist rescue.

I'd be more concerned about getting her into an enclosure with the proper conditions and getting her eating.

Your call...I'm sure most of the replies you get will say to keep her in qt...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    I'm going to agree with Sho, and go against the grain.

Get her in proper conditions eating. You know what the risks are, of both less than stellar husbandry and lack of Q. If you're willing to take them, take them. We all take calculated risks in our lives. As long as you know what the risks and benefits are, you're allowed to decide the benefit outweighs the risk.
    Last edited by CptJack; 06-28-2014 at 01:37 AM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    She did take her first meal at my house last night. When should it be ok to move her?

Thanks
    24 hours should be plenty of time to wait before you move her. I'd skip QT also. If it comes down to picking no QT over poor husbandry, I'd go with no quarantine. If you only have the two snakes to worry about and not a larger collection, the risk isn't quite as outrageous. Especially if you received her from a reputable source.
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)