Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,932

2 members and 1,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,763
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    South East PA (Northern Jersey Girl born and bred)
    Thanks

HOLY COW just bought a scale and weighed my new "rescued" 1 year old

So 5 weeks ago I got an albino male from a woman who I talked to before the christmas holidays. She said she had one, I said I wanted to get one. Long story short, she's moving and now he's mine. I was expecting a decent size snake since they had to have had it before december and when I saw him I was shocked at how small he was but as many nature shows as I have watched I have never learned how fast ball pythons grow so I did my research and realized he was really small. I emailed the former owner to ask his age and she said they got him at an expo LAST YEAR! THIS is a ONE YEAR OLD SNAKE!?

been doubling up his feeding since I've had him but I've been dying to get a weight on him so I just got a scale and weighed him.
    164 grams! I'm shocked he didn't look skinnier when I got him. He's been eating great and he shed already. Only concern I have is that he still hasn't pooped. Is it too soon to worry? Should I give him a bath just to be safe? I'm an anxious new mom...still in shock.

Thanks

Re: HOLY COW just bought a scale and weighed my new "rescued" 1 year old

That snake is not a year old. Thats kind of impossible...... dont get me wrong it might be but just not taken care of or fed right... so about the poop they take about a week or even two weeks to poop nothing to worry about as long as hes eating and you eventually see poop in less than 3 weeks
    Last edited by seanzee1; 06-21-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    -Sean
    Its always easier to ask questions to prevent an issue than it is to fix an issue..

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Citrus Pastel Ball Python Het Ghost
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    0.1.0 Mexican Black King Snake (Spotted Yellow)
    0.1.0 Colombian Red Tail Boa BCI

Thanks

That was kind of the point of me being shocked because obviously this snake hasn't been fed correctly to the point that it almost looks like a hatchling. And It hasn't pooped since I got it...ever...so longer than 5 weeks.

Thanks

Has he shed with you? I can't believe he a year old even my picky eater put on his weight in 3-4 months do you know what he was being feed before you had him

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

Sounds like my story with our first snake. He was 177 when I weighed him and the previous owner said she had him about a year from petsmart. He also took a little while to poop since he wasnt being fed the right amount before.....he is perfectly healthy now and tripled in size.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks

yup he finished shedding on thursday and I didn't even know he was in shed. He's been eating fine. The previous owner gave me some of the f/t they had left that they were feeding him. Box said small mice. I'm guessing hopper sized and the only feeding schedule that I can imagine would keep him so small would be just one, once a week. I tried 2 the first time I fed him which went down fine and then same again last week. This week I did one of the small and one medium (twice the size of the small). He ate both. I want to use up the small mice so I'll stick to them for a bit ( I got a bunch of them for free) and I'll try adding rats to the mix as well. This is his weight after all these meals. I cant imagine what it was before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyL1193 View Post
    Sounds like my story with our first snake. He was 177 when I weighed him and the previous owner said she had him about a year from petsmart. He also took a little while to poop since he wasnt being fed the right amount before.....he is perfectly healthy now and tripled in size.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Good to hear about the poop thing. I don't need any vet bills right now. My car needs to go to the "vet." Funny I know a few people who work at a petsmart and as much as the housing sucks for them as far as light and humidity goes they give them good care and the 6 month old female there is double the size of mine.