Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,248

1 members and 1,247 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,218
Threads: 248,626
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Pmcclanahan1

Thread: New Girl(?)

Thanks

New Girl(?)

I got a new presumed female at petsmart for 40% off. Unfortunately the girl looked about that much off weight wise. The reptile person was uncomfortable with snakes, feeding her in her aspen filled viv, was feeding this yearish ling pinkies, and wonders why she was "prone to striking".
    Anyways I got her a mouse to start getting her on a more normal feeding schedule. She took it very readily and looked to have it digested within a day or so. I am no snake expert, but I do have a corn and do deal with other exotics. The poor thing just needed some TLC. And nothing even close to a strike.
    Here are some pics. I'm sure she is a normal(?) but very pretty.

Her pattern is very nice and clear. Sorry about the low quality pics. But perhaps she's a cinny or black pastel? Whatever she is, very glad to be maintaining a happy snake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    She looks like a pretty little normal. Welcome to bp.net
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (06-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: New Girl(?)

Congrats on your new addition! She actually doesn't look too skinny at all - not enough to be worried about anyway. She is a normal, so no need to lay awake at night wondering which morph she might be. Sometimes when it quacks like a duck, it really is a duck.

As far as PetSmart goes, with the large glass fronts of the displays they are under a fair amount of stress while up for sale. Add that to a young snake, and quite a few of them tend to get nippy. I'm glad to hear that you've likely resolved this though.

Along those lines, there is nothing wrong with feeding her in her enclosure. Many, if not most, of the people on this forum do so. It is less stressful on your snake - having to remove it from it's nice and warm home just to give it food, and then having to move it back again with a (hopefully) full belly.

How are you setting up her enclosure? What are you planning on feeding her?

And, last but not least, !
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (06-18-2014),NH93 (06-19-2014),Skittles1101 (06-18-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Congrats on your new addition! She actually doesn't look too skinny at all - not enough to be worried about anyway. She is a normal, so no need to lay awake at night wondering which morph she might be. Sometimes when it quacks like a duck, it really is a duck.

As far as PetSmart goes, with the large glass fronts of the displays they are under a fair amount of stress while up for sale. Add that to a young snake, and quite a few of them tend to get nippy. I'm glad to hear that you've likely resolved this though.

Along those lines, there is nothing wrong with feeding her in her enclosure. Many, if not most, of the people on this forum do so. It is less stressful on your snake - having to remove it from it's nice and warm home just to give it food, and then having to move it back again with a (hopefully) full belly.

How are you setting up her enclosure? What are you planning on feeding her?

And, last but not least, !
    that's good to hear. With the weight difference between my corn and her I was concerned about them being on the same schedule. perhaps the reptile guy at the moment didn't know too much. the photos weren't too long after a meal either. I snapped a few photos and got her back in the viv. Good to know how to decrease stress in the future. Thanks!

Right now she's on coconut substrate with some moss, uth with thermostat, half log hide, some climbing vines, and a water dish. Nothing fancy but she seems content!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ispitroseas View Post
    that's good to hear. With the weight difference between my corn and her I was concerned about them being on the same schedule. perhaps the reptile guy at the moment didn't know too much. the photos weren't too long after a meal either. I snapped a few photos and got her back in the viv. Good to know how to decrease stress in the future. Thanks!

Right now she's on coconut substrate with some moss, uth with thermostat, half log hide, some climbing vines, and a water dish. Nothing fancy but she seems content!

Sounds like you're a good snake mom. You used some of our favorite buzz words in this reply.

As far as food goes, she would probably benefit from food every 4-5 days about as big around as she is (increasing size of food as she grows). Mouse pinkies are typically too small for BPs, so you're going to want to looking in to finding a source for rats (or plan on feeding multiple mice per feeding). Rats tend to be easier in the long run.

Check out this thread for a nice and simple walk-through for glass aquarium setup and see how yours compares: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Sounds like you're a good snake mom. You used some of our favorite buzz words in this reply.

As far as food goes, she would probably benefit from food every 4-5 days about as big around as she is (increasing size of food as she grows). Mouse pinkies are typically too small for BPs, so you're going to want to looking in to finding a source for rats (or plan on feeding multiple mice per feeding). Rats tend to be easier in the long run.

Check out this thread for a nice and simple walk-through for glass aquarium setup and see how yours compares: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!
    Well, I am a dude, but I could be one heck of a snake mom I'm just familiar with a lot of equipment, having my hands in a lot of pots (so to speak) in the exotics world. I also try to look my best into husbandry. Luckily it looks like I'm doing pretty well for BP set up!

I have a LPS that has consistently good feeders. I shop there for my corn, as well as my other critters. I was planning on gradually getting her up to the right size, but not over doing it. Other than that the girl seems to be adjusting very well. She just kind of sitting about, not really climbing or scooting, but just looking around. It's different than her before-behavior of going under her half log.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ispitroseas View Post
    Well, I am a dude, but I could be one heck of a snake mom
    Oops! I saw the lace tights in the first picture and took a shot at that being you.

Thanks

Well she will spend a lot of time being a plop, she won't be nearly as active as the corn.

Sent from my 4.2.2 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReagansViolent View Post
    Well she will spend a lot of time being a plop, she won't be nearly as active as the corn.

Sent from my 4.2.2 using Tapatalk
    Maybe typically but year-round my ball is much more out in the open than my corn! Maybe they are odd balls though...

Congrats OP! You may want to add in another heat source -- such as a heat lamp for example -- if you find the ambients don't stay around 80F in the vive. They do require higher temps and humidity than corns. That is my only suggestion, apart from agreeing that you can feel comfortable feeding your ball in the enclosure
    I find in the corn community it is more frowned upon; but, ball pythons are larger than corns, and as such would not be harmed from ingesting a little bit of substrate (if that is your worry)!

All the best!
    Last edited by NH93; 06-19-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger