Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,455

4 members and 2,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the site

Thanks

New to the site

So I've been talking about getting a BP for several years, and today my girlfriend surprised me with an early birthday present- a trip to Exotic Pets of Chester to pick out a baby BP. So I found a 3mo. Old male pinstripe and he came home with us.

So here is Diablo-

Getting a meal in before coming home-

Checking out his new home-

The setup as of now-

As of now, he's set up in a 10gal tank with UTH on the right (temps are holding at 92 on the hot side) with hides on the hot and cool sides (hides are 6" flower pots with a piece of towel in for bedding), floor is a section of non-adhesive linoleum, and I threw together a few sections of dowel rod to give him something to climb. Humidity is holding at 61% with the aid of a towel partially covering the lid. Temps on the cool side are being problematic- currently at 73. Planning on picking up another light fixture for a low watt bulb (probably red) to try to fix this.

Not planning on staying in the 10 gallon long- I have a viv that I picked up in a lot from UVA herpetology for our beardies that has a smidge more floor space and is significantly taller. He's already been climbing anything and everything, so I'm try to give him more room to explore. I built the viv for our oldest beardie and intend to build one for Diablo once he gets close to fully grown.

My experience has been mainly in beardies and leopard geckos- don't have much experience with keeping snakes even though I've been catching them since I was a kid. Any advice, suggestions, etc are welcome!

Oh, I do have a couple more digital thermometers and a thermostat in the mail- won't get here til Tuesday because of Memorial Day. Thanks!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: New to the site

No substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Shouldn't need two lights over a 10 gallon. What I did when I had a tank was I put the heat lamp in the middle for ambient temp (which also boosted the cool side surface temp a bit) and had an UTH on one side for the hotspot. I'd play with finding the right position for your heat lamp before getting two. May way to throw some eco earth or cypress mulch in there for something a bit more comfy for him and to help with the humidity. I think it's a good setup until he gets bigger though. Congrats and welcome to the forum! (and the ball python addiction as you'll quickly find out)
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CORBIN911 View Post
    No substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second that?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Piebald, 1.0 Barnhart Line Pewter, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Pastel ???,
    0.1 Butter Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 1.0 Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 0.1 Normal

Reticulated Python: 1.0 Tiger het albino

Kingsnake: 0.1 Albino Vertical Stripe

Boas: 0.1 Motley Nicaraguan Boa, 1.0 Colombian Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZacharyPoller For This Useful Post:

KingJv2020 (05-25-2014)

Thanks

Sorry about the confusion- I meant another fixture because all the fixtures I have are being used for beardies and Leo's.

The bottom of the tank has linoleum to prevent bacterial growth and for easy cleaning. There are towel pieces in the hides for comfort /to give the little fella something to burrow in. In researching this over the past couple of months, it seems as though this is an acceptable practice. Can you offer any reason why loose substrate is needed? Thanks!
    Using Tapatalk

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CORBIN911 View Post
    No substrate?
    Why?

Thanks

Swapped out the water dish and warm side hide for a combination pool/cave piece I found today. He went in immediately and seems to like it!

Got the fixture and have set up a CHE with dimmer switch... Working on regulating temps now.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Just measured him... Weight is 122g and length is 18" (approximately). That being said, anyone have any useful tips for measuring length of a snake? He doesn't care much for straightening out lol
    Using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    I have never bothered to measure the length on any of my BPs, just weigh them. When I had a boa I would measure her for the heck of it and I used a pice of 550 cord, then measured the cord.

Thanks

Very nice little pinstripe, nice pick up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast