http://www.cottonwoodholladayjournal...xotic-animals/
In response to the dust-up earlier this year around Thomas Cobb and his collection of boa constrictors, the Cottonwood Heights City Council has put forth a proposed amendment to the city code that would more closely regulate these kinds of animals.

Although Cobb has moved out of the city, he says he still is very interested in how the council handles the issue.

“I still own the house and I still own the permit. I still have snakes there,” Cobb said.

The proposed changes go to great effort in defining what, exactly, constitutes a “dangerous animal” and a “wild animal,” and to prohibit these with very limited exceptions. These include animals like alligators, bears, venomous snakes, and also constrictor snakes over eight feet long.

It then defines “exotic animals” as any other species that doesn’t fall into the other categories.

As a result, the possible amendments are intended to cover a wide variety of pet owners and their pets, and get them into the open, rather than housing animals without their neighbors’ knowledge.

“It makes perfect sense. It’s actually what we proposed,” Cobb said.

Overall, the infamous snake owner who set off a row last spring when neighbors found out about his extensive boa collection is in support of the proposal, although he says he may have some nits to pick about the details.

“I think limiting it to eight feet may be too restrictive. The limitation for the state as far as dangerous animals is 10 feet,” he said.

The amendments would allow up to five “exotic animals” to be kept as pets without restriction, and as many as 50 may be kept with a hobbyist permit. More than 50 animals in one location are deemed to be a commercial enterprise and would not be allowed in a residential area.

The hobbyist permit would require a veterinarian’s review of the premises and conditions where the animals are to be held. The vet is required to certify that the conditions are adequate, the animals are appropriately cared-for and vaccinated, and that they pose no significant danger to the public, even if one should get free.

“What that does is force people to properly own the animals,” Cobb said.

In addition, the amendments require that the pet owner have a written plan of action to safeguard the animals and the public in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency.

The proposed amendments are now on the city’s website and the council has invited public comment at the Dec. 17 business meeting.