Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,385

0 members and 2,385 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Avg rate of weight gain?

I know this will depend m/f and size and vary a bit but basically how fast do you expect your bp to weight with feeding 10-15% of their body weight..

I got my girl at 149g I'm assuming empty cuz she ate right away for me.. She has had 4 meals 4 urates and 4 poops since I got her jan 20th

Weighed her in tonight before her 5th meal at 180g she pooped yesterday

Im sure I'm prolly the only one who weighs once a week but I'm wondering what u all expect

Thanks

Re: Avg rate of weight gain?

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedMX3 View Post
    I know this will depend m/f and size and vary a bit but basically how fast do you expect your bp to weight with feeding 10-15% of their body weight..

I got my girl at 149g I'm assuming empty cuz she ate right away for me.. She has had 4 meals 4 urates and 4 poops since I got her jan 20th

Weighed her in tonight before her 5th meal at 180g she pooped yesterday

Im sure I'm prolly the only one who weighs once a week but I'm wondering what u all expect
    I also weigh mine every week. It really just depends on the snake. Some can eat weekly and grow a lot while another on the same feeding schedule grows slow. I have two girls that both eat the same size meal weekly. Both were about 400g when I switched them to live weaned rats. Both eat like champs. One is about 550g and the other only 475g.

If your snake is pooping weekly, that will make your snake weigh a lot less. Mine only poop every 2-3 weeks.

As long as she's gaining weight and eating well, she's probably right on track.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

My pastel and lesser girls have honestly pooped twice for me since I got them two months and one month ago, bunches of urates but no poop. They're absorbing everything, and are growing like weeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Depends on the snake.
    My fastest grower and most aggressive feeders gained about 100 grams a month when she was young. She went from hatchling to 1200 grams in a year. My other snakes are slower growers. They gain about 50 grams or less a month. Some females at the same age and initial size are half the size of the 1200 gram one currently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    This is a little skewed because she is building, but my ghost has gained 700 grams in 4 months. 1200-1900 since the middle of Oct.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Our snakes tend to average between 50 and 100 grams a month depending on the snake.
    Some eat more often and some will eat multiples.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

My snake was born august 28th or something and she was gaining 100 grams a month and she's at 28 inches long. I stopped feeding her because she was gaining weight too fast and started to lose muscle definition. Now I feed her every 2 weeks but this month she's at week 3 without eating. She's not eating foe another week.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barbie.dragon View Post
    My snake was born august 28th or something and she was gaining 100 grams a month and she's at 28 inches long. I stopped feeding her because she was gaining weight too fast and started to lose muscle definition. Now I feed her every 2 weeks but this month she's at week 3 without eating. She's not eating foe another week.
    What do you mean she was losing muscle definition? She's only 6 months old, and BPs have generally rounder bodies than many other snakes (corns, kings, etc.). Why wouldn't you just offer smaller meals weekly if you want to grow her slower, instead of making her wait 2-4 weeks between meals?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    What do you mean she was losing muscle definition? She's only 6 months old, and BPs have generally rounder bodies than many other snakes (corns, kings, etc.). Why wouldn't you just offer smaller meals weekly if you want to grow her slower, instead of making her wait 2-4 weeks between meals?
    When she would slither I couldnt see any muscles. And I can see the skin between the scales. She refused a meal making it 2 weeks without food. And im going away for a few days and I don't want her to sit in her feces. I was feeding her weekly thay made her a little chunkier than I would like her to bw and the vet agreed she can take being fed every 10-14. She just looks like a fat sausage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by barbie.dragon; 02-15-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    Ya compared to my girls neck and head she looks like she's got a fat arse haha but from pics I don't think it's any diff.. Just the shape of balls..

Last night was the first time she didn't go right for her food.. She was coiled so tight in her hide I thought she just couldnt see it so I pulled her hide and after staring at it for 15 min it finally moved and she snatched it.. Something tells me she won't take to f/t even if I wanted to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast