Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,134

3 members and 1,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924
    Thanks

What do yall think?

About a week and a half ago I got my first Ball, first snake at ever! Im very excited to grow and learn with him, fascinating animals they are. Hes still a baby, probably like 14inches or so? Not sure about his weight.

I have a 75watt infrared bulb for the hot side, placed about 4 inches from the top of the cage. A heat pad for the other side of the tank, his hide sits on top of it. Temperature for both sides are where they are needed. His first feeding went great, (about 4 days after i brought him home) fed him live. Struck in about 2minutes with me sitting there watching and swallowed no problem. I get him out for about 30 minutes every night around 11pm. He slithers around on me and my bed, seems to enjoy it I guess.

Now my concern is, Ive literally seen him leave his hide 1 time. Im gone all day and come home around 8, I stay up till 4am every night and I just figure I would see some roaming during these times (his tank is only a few feet from my bed) I see him poking his head out every now and then like he wants to leave then just smells and goes back in. Seems really hesitant on what he wants to do! Maybe hes still adjusting Im not sure, just wanted to get an opinion maybe. Thanks!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    A hiding BP is a happy BP. Seriously these snakes will spend most of their lives hiding. They don't make very good display snakes. Mine seem to be most active between midnight and 2:00 A.M. other than that it is rare to see them out and about.

2 quick things I noticed.

1. Do you have anything regulating your heating pad? What type of thermometers are you using to measure temperatures?

2. Are you trying to use a heating pad for the cool side temperature in your tank? I ask because heating pads don't change the temperature of the air inside the cage so they are useless for cool side heating.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 02-13-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

SoyBean (02-13-2013)

Thanks
    Well I guess thats good to hear, although I would like to see him a little more often!

I have a thermostat for the pad, and not trying to raise the air temp of the cool side. Just trying to make his hide just a tad bit warmer.

And I bought one of those cheap accu-rite thermometers from walmart is all.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Ok, sounds good.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)