Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,087

1 members and 2,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
    Thanks

Where Do Ball Pythons Generally Strike?

Last night was the second time I fed my bp. He is eating live mice. He is almost year old and is eating once a month. Anyway, the first time I fed him he struck at it on the side of the mouse. This time it looked more like he got the head of it. The mouse seemed to squirm around more. Have you guys noticed any trends in strike patterns? I know that mice will bite back. Should I be concerned that it bit back in his mouth?

I'm not really too worried. He looked pretty content last night and yawned. I didn't see anything odd in his mouth.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Eating only once a month? Why?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Where Do Ball Pythons Generally Strike?

Some people watch each & every live feeder, some toss them in and come back to check to make sure it has been dispatched. With just the one, you might consider having a pencil on the ready to intervene if it looks like the mouse will be able to injure your snake. Just don't leave a live feeder in with your snake for an extended period of time.

Is he only eating once a month because that's all you're offering, or because he refuses the rest of the time?
    Last edited by swansonbb; 02-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Head striking is the preferred spot for all of my ball pythons.
    No issues yet. Its when the prey's head is loose is when there might be problems.

A mouse once a month is not enough food.
    I feed adults rats once every 7-10 days. Babies twice a week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Snakes know how to hunt, so I wouldn't be too worried where he strikes. People put a lot of warnings out about supervising live feedings, but the risk is minimal unless you leave a live rodent unattended for a long period of time.

I second the above question - Why are you feeding so little? We typically recommend feeding weekly with a rodent that is 10-15% of his body weight, or his same diameter at his thickest point. Young hatchlings can take an adult mouse, so he should be eating bigger prey or multiple mice by now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Snakes know how to hunt, so I wouldn't be too worried where he strikes. People put a lot of warnings out about supervising live feedings, but the risk is minimal unless you leave a live rodent unattended for a long period of time.

I second the above question - Why are you feeding so little? We typically recommend feeding weekly with a rodent that is 10-15% of his body weight, or his same diameter at his thickest point. Young hatchlings can take an adult mouse, so he should be eating bigger prey or multiple mice by now.
    As for why he is not eating once a month, I assume because he is not hungry. I offer once a week and we have noticed that he only goes for it once a month.

Thanks
    Here is a size comparison of the snake to the mouse. It's the best I could do. The mouse seems to be a little smaller than his widest point. 1 year old may be an exaggeration. I am not sure how old he is but I know he is younger.