Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,348

1 members and 1,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

She's most likely in shed, should I feed her?

So Kallista's tummy looks kinda pink and when I have her out in certain light or outside she has almost a blue glow around her. It looks like a shed to me, but she hasn't gone blue yet. Or at least gone blue that I know of. There was 4 days I barely and didn't hold her.
    Like day 1 of those four I took her out for a couple minutes to...measure her I think... Day 2/4 I took her out to see how thick she was and what type of food I thought she could handle(with two hopper mice, I think she can handle bigger, though those did leave nice sized lumps in her) and also fed her that afternoon.
    The next two days I didn't hold her so she could digest. Is it possible she could have gone blue in one of those times and I missed it? Or has she just not gotten blue yet?
    And can I feed her today? I planned on getting her a live rat fuzzy.
    If she doesn't eat it, what do I do with it until next week?
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Some feed, some don't. I have some that take a week or two off and I have some that eat and shed within a few hours. Hard to say until you know your specific snake. It isn't going to hurt by trying but if you aren't planning on breeding, you probably don't need to feed your snake.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Well, I know they can go without food, but I might as well try anyway. She seemed hungry last night when I cleaning my room with her on my wrist and was by my rat cage. Her tongue started flicking like crazy and she started to stretch her neck towards where Suki was. She might have been just curious, or she wanted to eat. XD (not that she could get Suki down. She's a really big rat!) So I'll try to give her a rat anyway I guess since she's not in blue.
    I just don't know what to do with it if she doesn't eat it since fuzzies can't live without mom.
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)

0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)

Thanks

Re: She's most likely in shed, should I feed her?

She may or may not eat for you. When my ball pythons are obviously in the blue, most of them aren't interested in food at all. You might want to get a little rodent cage to keep in your garage (or wherever) to house uneaten feeders.
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    If you haven't bought the fuzzy yet, I'd wait until she sheds to get her a fuzzy. It won't hurt her.

Once you know your own snake better it gets easier. 4 out of 5 of mine are hogs that would eat in full blue at high noon, so I offer as usual. And then there is the picky one......

If your snake is an aggressive feeder she probably will eat in blue. I don't like to waste rodents so my solution to prey refusals is to have multiple snakes. Anytime one snake refuses a meal someone else hits the jackpot and gets a bonus rat. Also, when your girl is larger and eating weans or bigger you can keep a rodent cage handy and if she's not in the mood you can save it for a few days later.
    Last edited by Redneck_Crow; 08-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redneck_Crow For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (08-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    If she's eating fuzzies, don't feed her during blue. There's a good chance she won't eat and you'll end up returning or euthanizing the fuzzy. You're keeping a pet ball so she can make it just fine through a shed without eating. I forgot you were feeding fuzzies.

Regards,

B

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (08-25-2011)

Thanks
    Yeah, I already do have a kritter cage. She's not in blue and last time I fed her, very aggressive feeder. So yeah.... She may eat she may not, I don't know. She's not in blue. Her scales are just a little bluish looking in the sun.
    Herps:

Thanks

my Big Girl only feeds on live rats, I never feed her while in shed because of this, how ever my baby who will take both live and FT and both rats and mice I will feed her when shes in shed a FT.

Thanks
    I'd just wait till after the shed.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fluffpuffgerbil View Post
    Yeah, I already do have a kritter cage. She's not in blue and last time I fed her, very aggressive feeder. So yeah.... She may eat she may not, I don't know. She's not in blue. Her scales are just a little bluish looking in the sun.
    I just want to clarify something.

The scales are not what looks blue, its the eyes. once the eyes go cloudy they look blueish, and the scales will get really dull looking but blue isn't really the word for em.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast