Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,070

0 members and 2,070 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,395
Threads: 248,765
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Boons
    Thanks

Buying a Ball python in Winter?

Hey i'm wondering if its a better idea to wait till winter is over before i order my Ball Python online...I know it won't really matter if i can provide the heat for him but I just want to know if I should wait or if it even matters. If anyone can give me their thoughts it would be greatly appreciated =) thanks

Thanks
    If ordering online and the snake has to be shipped to you, you might want to wait. Depending on your location and the location of the breeder, you may not be able to actually get the snake for a few weeks, if not months due to current weather conditions. I've been waiting for about 6 weeks for one of my new additions. (Still waiting.)
    Last edited by Ch^10; 02-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Now i've had breeders ship me snakes when the temps were in the teens. Now he only did this because he is Will Bird and has shipped tons of snakes in his life with few DOA's. Other breeders who don't care as much about shipping wont take every precaution, so you do have to worry about shipping when temps are below 35 degrees.

I would try and buy local or buy from a REPUTABLE and WELL KNOWN breeder. Nothing against small breeders, but if you have a DOA, it's not always easy to get a replacement or refund from a small breeder.

I have had multiple snakes shipped to me with no issues, just know the seller and trust them.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Re: Buying a Ball python in Winter?

Well I would be buying from BHB and they're no small breeder... Thanks for the info guys I guess its up to me, but also I've had problems with UPS here so I'm a little worried...
    Anyway thanks again for the fast replies!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steveboos View Post
    I would try and buy local or buy from a REPUTABLE and WELL KNOWN breeder. Nothing against small breeders, but if you have a DOA, it's not always easy to get a replacement or refund from a small breeder.
    So only well known breeders stands behinds their animals and offer refunds should something happens , guess it pretty much reduces the number of people to buy from than

Assumptions, assumptions

To the OP you can buy anytime it's not about well known it about being knowledgeable, reputable and responsible.

Some people are comfortable with shipping a low and/or high temps (yes during the summer there are also problems and animals can over-heat)

Some customers even if the breeder is willing to ship are not willing to take the risks and not comfortable with having their animal ship in cold weather.

Works boths ways, ask questions and if you are not comfortable you can always buy the animal and have the breeder ship when weather permits.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shirkan View Post
    Well I would be buying from BHB and they're no small breeder... Thanks for the info guys I guess its up to me, but also I've had problems with UPS here so I'm a little worried...
    Anyway thanks again for the fast replies!
    BHB will get you your snake there alive, I got a pinstripe in early Jan from them this year and she did great. Haha I would only worry about shipping with small breeders maybe you don't know to much about.

Thanks

oh BbyBoa Can I ask you a question about BhB i've been trying to ask them questions via email and Lori is so short with me its stressful. I'm trying to find out, since you've boughten from then recently how big are they're babies they ship. They used to say 75-125grams now they label them as 2010 ball pythons. I'm just a little confused, also not really sure if they breed year round or what..
    If you can shed any light on the subject it would be appreciated